Re: E-M:/ PRESS RELEASE: HIGH SPEED RAIL FORUM IN DETROIT

Enviro-Mich message from "Molly Cole" <COLE@maelstrom.cc.wmich.edu>

A couple of things people should keep in mind regarding high speed rail. If
its run well it will allow people to live in the little towns between
Chicago and Detroit instead of "in" Chicago and Detroit. On the other hand
if there is no good way to get where you're going once you get off the train
it will fail. It will perhaps be functional if it is very high speed with
perhaps one stop at the half way point which is linked to other communities
by light rail or more busses. I don't think I'm against high speed rail but
in addition to the above points I'm becoming suspicious of things that help
us go faster. They don't help us save time, we just go farther and stay for
less time.

I suggest getting hold of the article "The Speed Merchants" by Wolfgang
Sachs in the January/February 1998 issue of "Resurgence". If you can't find
the magazine, the article may be available on their web site at
http://www.gn.apc.org/resurgence

We need to explore all the relationships and maybe not be in such a hurry.

Molly Cole
Program Coordinator
Environmental Studies
239 Moore Hall
Western Michigan University
Kalamazoo, MI 49008
Phone: (616) 387-2716 Fax: (616) 387-4998
http://www.wmich.edu/science/docs/esp/esp.html
"If you think you're too small to make a difference, you've never been
in bed with a mosquito."