Re: E-M:/ Pandering for the Environment

Enviro-Mich message from Tim Flynn <tflynn@freeway.net>

On 2/17/98 12:18 PM anne.woiwode@sfsierra.sierraclub.org wrote:

>"We've seen the successful return of bald eagle and wolf populations, ..."
>Under the Gov's leadership the state ESA list is now 6 years out of date (a
>proposed new list may have hearings in April), and funding for identification
>and protection of T&E species has been hanging on by its fingernails, having
>been zeroed out by the Gov in 1991.  The only bright spots have been the
>determination of some in the DNR to turn this process around, but their
>success depends on not having their feet cut out from under them every single
>time.

Anne,

As you know in addition to not updating the ESA list, Big Jawn's DNR has
for 10 year avoided their responsibility to restore populations of
Red-Shouldered hawks in Michigan.   In fact, the de facto policy of the
DNR is to  eliminating large blocks of older forests, and this policy is
accelerating the loss of habitat for this threatened species.

These actions by the DNR are in direct violation the State's ESA, yet
despite our protests and pressure they continue to fragment and disturb
existing and likely RSH habitat.   This is a policy of intentional
extirpation of this and other species in Michigan that don't get along
well with Jawn's view of our forest's as fiber farms.

If your a species that likes clearcuts, good for you, Jawn will create
lot's of habitat.   If you require older mature lightly disturbed habitat
in large blocks, a condition of millions of acres in Michigan prior to
European settlement, well tough, Jawn got timber to cut and deer habitat
to overproduce.   As well as campaign contribution to pay back, so to
hell with future generations rights to enjoy all of Michigan's remaining
flora and fauna!

Tim Flynn   tflynn@freeway.net    PO Box 308, Harbor Springs, MI 49740