E-M:/ Correction Rouge Steel Notice

Enviro-Mich message from Marian Schultz <MLSchultz@worldnet.att.net>

My apologies,

The Consent Order hearing is at 7:00 not 6:00 for public comment on  the
consent order between Wayne County Dept. of Air Quality and Rouge Steel.
Nor did my attachment go through. The following are the key talking
points we are concerned about:

1. In view of Rouge Steel's past history (we are taking a large pile of
violation notices to the hearing) we would like the emissions monitoring
information generated to be reviewed on a weely basis, by an independent
party/consultant/entity, for a minimum period of one year. We believe
that the company should defray any expenses related to this independent
review process.

2. The Supplemental Environmental Program described in the order
suggests a process of recycling which will actually increase air
emissions. Such a "voluntary effort" actually bypasses the "New
Installation Permit" requirements that such an enterprise actually calls
for. We fail to see how the installation of this new process qualifies
as a condition of a Consent Order.

3. The Consent Order should, but does not, address the problem of Kish,
long cited by area residents. The company claims that nothing can be
done and points to National Steel as actually producing most of the
kish. However, in fact National Steel has installed technology to reduce
kish, meaning that such technology is available and requiring it should
be part of the Consent Order.

4. In view of these concerns we ask that the County postphone approval
of this Consent Order until such time as these and other citizen
concerns can be addressed, negotiated and incorporated into this Consent
Order.

Any letter writing that you can do will be greatly appreciated. Please
fax your letters to SDEV at 313 842-1961.

Thanks again