E-M:/ ACT: Tell MI Congresspeople to vote against HR 2515

Enviro-Mich folks:  ALL of Michigan's Members of Congress should hear about
the dangers of HR 2515, introduced by Rep. Bob Smith, (R-OR) the chairman of
the House Ag committee.  Please review the below synopsis -- more info is
available by contacting me.  Michigan's National Forests, as well as all the
others nationwide, are at risk if this gutting environmental and public input
is allowed to pass.  Anne Woiwode, anne.woiwode@sierraclub.org

 **TAKE ACTION**
 Call today and urge your Representative to oppose HR 2515, the Smith "CHAIN
 SAW Surgery" bill, when it reaches the floor possibly later this month.

 HR 2515 is:
 - based on the faulty premise that there is a forest health "crisis", an
 assumption that has been refuted from all quarters.
 - designed to allow logging companies to cut green trees in the name of
 forest health (reminiscent of the Clearcut Salvage Rider).

 IN THE WOODS: CHAIRMAN BOB SMITH SET TO PERFORM SURGERY ON OUR NATIONAL
 FORESTS

 The last time we checked, Representative Bob Smith (R-OR) wasn't a doctor.
 Nevertheless, Smith, the chairman of the House Agriculture Committee, is
 ready to perform some not-so-delicate CHAIN SAW surgery on our National
 Forests.  HR 2515, Smith's bogus "Forest Health" bill, was marked up in
 committee nearly two weeks ago, and now appears ready to be considered on the
 House floor.

 The Smith bill has left the environmental community in a collective state of
 deja-vu since we contended with similar legislation in the Craig forest
 health bill and the "Clearcut Rider" during the 104th Congress.  Like the
 Craig bill and Salvage Rider, the Smith Bill relies on a faulty diagnosis:
 that our National Forests are in the throes of some massive "forest health
 crisis".  This premise has been attacked from all quarters, including the
 Clinton Administration.  In a letter to Chairman Smith, Agriculture Secretary
 Dan Glickman accurately pinpointed the real impetus behind HR 2515:

 "While the bill establishes a new restoration fund to help pay for these
 projects, some of the money to support the fund would come from harvesting
 commercially valuable timber.  This would establish a cycle by which forest
 health activities would depend on commercial timber sales, encouraging an
 increase in the number of commercial timber sales to fund restoration."

 The prescription that would result from the diagnosis of a forest health
 "crisis", then, would actually call for more logging of green trees.  What's
 more, the bill would allow the Secretary of Agriculture to designate entire
 regions (which could be specific acreage, entire National Forests, or even
 regions such as the Pacific Northwest) as "Forest Health Recovery Areas",
 which would then be more closely surveyed for salvage logging activity.  Once
 again, the timber industry has found a backdoor route by which to perpetuate
 their destructive practices.

 Lately the Forest Service has been taking tiny steps forward, however
 incremental, with their roadless policy and shift in emphasis towards
 recreation.  Should the Smith bill pass it would represent a gigantic step
 backwards in the management of our National Forests.  It's time for Mr. Smith
 to stop the forest malpractice.

-end-