EIS non-process in Michigan Re: E-M:/ Republic Steel

At 04:44 PM 3/17/1998 +0000, you wrote:
>Does anyone know if an Environmental Impact Statement was completed?
>Why can they build this (if they have to) on brownfields??????
>
>Karen J.

Karen:

At the present time, there is no mandatory environmental impact statement
or comprehensive environmental review process in the State of
Michigan.

Michigan used to have a fairly good process which involved
Michigan Environmental Review Board review of major state
actions.   Many will recognize the name of Dr. William Cooper at
MSU who used to be chair of MERB.

Former Michigan Governor James Blanchard had wanted to change
this process.   In the closing days of his administration Blanchard
abolished the then existing executive order requiring environmental
impact review of major state actions intending to replace it with
another altered process.  However, he did not complete this before
John Engler was elected and no environmental review process was created
in the place of the old process in the Engler era.

There is still some environmental impact processes that take place in
association with the expenditures of large amounts of federal money
in projects that come under the National Environmental Policy Act.   However,
major state decisions, like permit decisions on the new steel minimills
in Genesee County and in Milan are not covered by any comprehensive
environmental impact statement process.

In the Genesee Power case, aspects of the state's failure to conduct
adequate environmental reviews was a factor in that the Michigan
Constitution and the Michigan Environmental Protection Act provisions
of the Michigan's environmental laws could be interpreted as requiring
an environmental review process.   However there is nothing in place as a
self executing
process at this time.

Unfortunately, judges of the Michigan Court Appeals have been steadily
chipping away at  the original legislative intent of
the Michigan Environmental Protection Act.   We'll see what they do
with the Genesee Power case which is on appeal.

Alex Sagady

>Julie Griess wrote:

>> Enviro-Mich message from "Julie Griess" <jgriess@provide.net>
>> -----------
>>
>> >Anyway, does anyone (Alex) have the means to look at the permit
>> >applications and comment as was done in the Flint case?
>>
>> I would add that there is an air permit hearing March 30. We had the
>> first
>> hearing (wetlands) at the beginning of the March, and yet they are
>> talking
>> about breaking ground in April! So far they claim that they haven't
>> decided
>> where the water will come from, so I guess there wouldn't be any
>> hearing
>> about that.

>> ENVIRO-MICH:  Internet List and Forum for Michigan Environmental
>> and Conservation Issues and Michigan-based Citizen Action.   Archives
>> at
>> http://www.great-lakes.net/lists/enviro-mich/
>>
>> Postings to:  enviro-mich@great-lakes.net      For info, send email to
>>
>> majordomo@great-lakes.net  with a one-line message body of  "info
>> enviro-mich"

PO Box 39  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039
(517) 332-6971 (voice); (517) 332-8987 (fax)