E-M:/ Victory on Smith Forest Health Bill -- press release

Michigan Enviros:  GREAT NEWS FROM CONGRESS-- Previously you have been sent
info about HR 2515, Con. Bob Smith's bad forest bill -- The forces of common
sense won this one!!  Thanks to all who contacted their Congresspeople in
Michigan!!  Anne Woiwode

 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE  CONTACT:
 March 27, 1998 Holly Minch, 202-675-7903

 STATEMENT OF MELANIE GRIFFIN, DIRECTOR OF SIERRA CLUB'S PUBLIC LANDS PROGRAM,
 ON THE DEFEAT OF H.R. 2515,
 THE SMITH "FOREST HEALTH" BILL

 WASHINGTON, D.C. --  "Today marks a major shift in the debate over the future
 of our National Forests.  The House of Representatives voted 201 to 181 to
 reject H.R. 2515.  With the defeat of Representative Bob Smith's (R-OR) bill,
 the Congress is finally beginning to respond to the overwhelming public
 demand for forest protection.

 "Representative Smith's bill would have made every one of our National
 Forests -- including our ancient forests -- a candidate for clearcutting.
 Smith mischaracterized his bill as a response to a `forest health' crisis ,
 when in fact the result of this legislation would have been more like a
 chainsaw massacre. The only crisis in our forests is caused by excessive road
 building and industrial logging, and this bill would have dramatically
 increased these destructive uses of our forests.  The public has figured out
 that this type of bill is a wolf in sheep's clothing, and the Congress is
 finally listening to the voters.

 "This bill would have stolen money from environmental restoration and roads
 maintenance programs and put it into a new slush fund to promote clearcutting
 programs.  And it specifically directed the government to ignore the costs to
 taxpayers of the clearcutting programs in this bill.

 "Perhaps the most disturbing thing about this bill was that it came
 at a time when the Chief of the U.S. Forest Service is taking the first steps
 towards more reasonable forest management, with his proposed moratorium on
 road building in many of our last roadless areas.  As Chief Dombeck attempts
 to recognize the public values of our forests like water quality, wildlife
 habitat and recreation, Representative Smith and his allies continue to
 promote clearcutting in our last remaining unspoiled wild forests.  These
 forests that have been set aside as an integral piece of our children's
 natural heritage. It is our duty to protect that inheritance from the greed
 of the timber industry and their allies in Congress.

 "We applaud the leadership of Representatives George Miller (D-CA), Bruce
 Vento (D-MN) and  Sherwood Boehlert (R-NY) in working to defeat this
 irresponsible legislation."

 ##