E-M:/ milliken joins lead alliance as state house attacks lead poisoning

Enviro-Mich message from Dave Dempsey <davemec@voyager.net>

The Health Policy Committee of the State House of Representatives on
Tuesday will take up a bill (H.B. 5561) to enable the state to escape
federal pre-emption in addressing lead abatement.  Because Michigan has not
enacted a law regulating and certifying lead abatement contractors, it will
become ineligible for federal lead abatement grants on July 1.  U.S. EPA
would then administer lead abatement funding in the state.

Lead poisoning is one of the most serious public health scourges for
children, affecting more than 50,000 Michigan kids.  Sponsored by State
Rep. Gloria Schermesser, H.B. 5561 also mandates the state establish a
childhood lead poisoning prevention and poisoned child tracking program.

In a separate but related development, it was announced today that former
Michigan Governor William Milliken has joined the board of directors of the
Washington, D.C-based Alliance to End Childhood Lead Poisoning.   The
Alliance is the leading national nonprofit organization working to find
effective ways to protect all children from lead poisoning.

"My work with the Alliance will complement my ongoing efforts to see that
children succeed in school," said Milliken, "because lead poisoning robs IQ
points, cuts attention span, and casues disruptive behavior.  Protecting
children from lead poisoning will help our children succeed in school --
and help our schools succeed in building strong communities."  For
information on the Milliken appointment, contact Don Ryan of the Alliance
at 202-543-1147.
Dave Dempsey
Policy Director
Michigan Environmental Council