E-M:/ MLive/enviro stories

Enviro-Mich message from Poulsondav <Poulsondav@aol.com>

Here is a digest with urls to full versions of recent environmental stories on
Michigan Live.

OLNEY, Md. - Hidden among this community of nearly 1,200 homes are
winding bike paths, tennis courts, trickling creeks, upper-middle-class
residents, welfare recipients and perhaps the future of Michigan
farming. More than 90 Michigan farmers, local planners, city officials and
land use experts toured Maryland and Pennsylvania over the weekend. They're
hoping to
find solutions to the sprawl that eats up Michigan farmland while
draining cities of people, tax base and development.
http://kz.mlive.com/news/farmto$01.htm

  A ruling in Washtenaw County Circuit Court ended one of the many
disputes between Pall-Gelman Sciences Inc. and the city of Ann Arbor.
Judge William E. Shelton held last week that Ann Arbor owed the Scio
Township company $1,740 in attorney fees for a lawsuit Pall-Gelman
brought to get documents from the city under the state's Freedom of
Information Act. The city has until April 27 to make the payment.
http://aa.mlive.com/news/gelmanfoi.htm

FENTON - Eagle on the Water's Edge, a proposed riverfront community
overlooking the millpond and Shiawassee River, is too much for the city,
say city planners - too many houses, too much density and too many
cul-de-sacs.
http://fl.mlive.com/news/wateredge.htm

Becky Gaitan and her 10 children will breathe a little easier now that a
Jackson County judge has stopped construction on a new asphalt plant
near their home on Barrett Lane. "Three of my children have asthma and I've
been really worried about them having to breathe in those fumes," Gaitan said
Monday as her children played in the yard. "We had seriously considered
moving. In
fact, we had already talked to a real estate agent."
http://ja.mlive.com/news/31mccully.htm

Sources of minor ground water contamination on South Westnedge Avenue
have been removed as Kalamazoo city and Michigan Department of
Environmental Quality officials have launched a study of how far the
contamination has spread.
http://kz.mlive.com/news/totalclea.htm