E-M:/ How did the Michigan Rep's Vote on the Smith Bill? Well, let's see--

Enviro-Mich message from LexAnima <LexAnima@aol.com>

Here's information that came across my desk here in Wisconsin via Roger
Featherstone and LCV which I thought I would pass along to the fine folks in
Michigan.  My apologies if this is a double posting, but I hadn't seen this
information on this list previously.

D'Arcy Kemnitz ____________________________________

Michigan
1 STUPAK (D)                -
2 HOEKSTRA (R)              -
3 EHLERS (R)                +
4 CAMP (R)                  -
5 BARCIA (D)                -
6 UPTON (R)                 -
7 SMITH, NICK (R)           -
8 STABENOW (D)              +
9 KILDEE (D)                +
10 BONIOR (D)                +
11 KNOLLENBERG (R)           -
12 LEVIN, SANDER (D)         +
13 RIVERS (D)                +
14 CONYERS (D)               ?
15 KILPATRICK (D)            +
16 DINGELL (D)               +
Protection Act of 1998" is the latest in a series of proposals over the last
several years claiming a nation-wide forest health "crisis," with increased
logging as the "cure."  This rationale manifested itself last Congress as the
so-called "Salvage Logging Rider"-which suspended all environmental safeguards
to increase logging on every National Forest for 18 months on the grounds that
it would improve "forest health."  The results were devastating as hundreds of
previously illegal timber sales were logged that never could have gone forward
without the Rider. Although this bill omits the word "salvage," H.R 2515
expands salvage logging. The bill allows salvage logging in roadless areas,
riparian areas, and even old growth forests without any curbs on the abuses
that have occurred in the past. Additionally:

o H.R. 2515 is based on a flawed assumption that there is a nation-wide forest
health "crisis," for which increased logging is the "cure."  There is not, nor
has there ever been, scientific consensus regarding the existence of the
forest health "crisis" claimed by H.R. 2515.

o H.R. 2515 denies citizens a meaningful voice in the management of our
national forests by severely limiting public participation and judicial,
environmental and scientific review.

o H.R. 2515 creates a powerful economic incentive to cut bigger, older trees
by establishing a new off-budget trust fund in the Forest Service that would
be replenished through revenues generated by "forest health" activities.
Economic returns would become a major factor in deciding which "forest health
treatments" to administer in the identified "recovery areas"-creating an
incentive for commercial logging and a disincentive for non-revenue producing
management activities, such as prescribed burning.

Moreover, H.R. 2515 ignores the reality that the Forest Service already has
all the authority needed to address true forest health concerns.

In a major victory for the environment, on March 27, 1998 the House defeated
H.R. 2515 by a vote of 181 - 201.  NO is the pro-environment vote.

LCV encourages you to call or write your Representative about their vote on
this issue, thanking them for supporting the environment or objecting to their
anti-environmental position.

Capitol Switchboard: 202-224-3121
Address:  Your Representative, U.S. House of Representatives, Washington, DC
20515