E-M:/ Information

Forwarded by request to Enviro-Mich:

Dear Ann, Would appreciate your posting this on the EnviroWebsite.  I know it
probably does not represent your organization's views but would appreciate
your sharing with your readership in order to update them on the status of the
process and provide more information in regards to the area.

 Thanks,
Phyllis Green
Forest Supervisor
Ottawa National Forest

"Several people sent me a copy of your latest updates on Trap Hills.  I am
alwa ys interested in understanding the perspectives of people who engage and
are con cerned about public land management.  This time it was also
interesting to see h ow 1/2 of a conversation was interpreted.  Trap Hills
does not meet the  followi ng 4 criteria for placing into the roads
moratorium: 1. roadless areas of 5,000 acres or more inventoried in RARE II
(Roadless Area Review and Evaluation) and o ther unroaded areas regardless of
size, identified in a forest plan; 2. unroaded areas greater than 1,000 acres
contiguous to Congressionally-designated Wildern ess or contiguous to
federally-administered components of the National Wild and Scenic Rivers
System that are classified as "Wild";  3. any National Forest Syst em area of
low-density road development or 4. any other National Forest System t hat
retains its roadless characteristics which the Regional Forester subsequentl y
determines have such special and unique ecological characteristics or social v
alues that no road construction or reconstruction should proceed.  "

" It has been characterized as being the last old growth stands on the Ottawa
a.  Although the EA process placed 40% of the area into unmanaged old growth
ve ry little of it has classic old growth characteristics.  Our stand data
indicate s over 90% of the area originated after 1920.  Part of the reason it
is starting to regain structure is time and a variety of treatments that have
occurred from pre-commercial thins to harvest.  This information does not
necessarily alter p eople's interest in preserving the area but it is more
reflective of how the are a has evolved.  The 9 criteria shared with you all
in Murray's notes appear to b e from the last round of wilderness planning in
Michigan.  They were not include d in Forest Service direction regarding the
moratorium.  I do intend to review t he area and validate the locality of
stands people are concerned about that they feel are old growth.  At this
point, the Regional Forester has the authority to place areas into the
moratorium and I have relayed your criteria and concerns on to him.  There are
a number of issues that have been raised in addition to old growth and we will
be posting clarifying material at our web site (www.fs.fed.us/r9/ottawa).  We
take our stewardship seriously in regards to flora and fauna and the
allocation of land management strategies o n the Ottawa National Forest was
done primarily through the Forest Plan process with a broad base of public
input.   The Wilderness Act of 1987  designated the current wilderness acres.
Land management strategies is definitely one of interaction with the public
about areas that they care about.  I appreciate he aring from those of you who
have written and look forward to more dialog on t his area and its
significance.

Phyllis Green, Forest Supervisor, Ottawa National Forest"