E-M:/ Michigan's Champion White Pine

Enviro-Mich message from traverse@freeway.net (Traverse Magazine)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Contact: Jodi Simpson 616/941-8174

Announcing the 1998 Champion White Pine Search

Pull out the maps. Climb in the car. Scour the backroads and trails.
Traverse, Northern Michigan's Magazine and The Champion Tree Project are
co-sponsoring a hunt for Michigan's missing champion state tree, the white
pine. The person who nominates the biggest white pine will receive two
nights lodging for two at the Chippewa Hotel on Mackinac Island.
        Michigan's reigning champion white pine toppled in the early 1990s,
and no replacement has been located. Traverse Magazine noodled with David
Milarch, president and founder of the non-profit Champion Tree Project,
about what to do. We decided to launch a statewide search to find a new
champion.
        Here's how to participate. Once you find a nominee, wrap a tape
measure around the tree trunk (circumference) at 4.5 feet above the ground.
If the trunk splits below the 4.5 foot mark, it will not be considered.
Take a photo of the tree, preferably with somebody standing beside it. Send
the picture, your nomination's circumference and directions for finding the
tree along with your name, address and phone number, to 1998 Champion White
Pine Search, Traverse Magazine, P.O. Box 2434, Traverse City, MI 49685.
Check our website (www.freshwater.com/traverse) for a running list of the
top 10 entries.  We'll accept nominations until August 31, 1998 and
announce the winner on Labor Day (September 7, 1998). If more than one
person nominates the winning tree and it's on public land, we'll have a
drawing. If the tree grows on private land, the landowner will
automatically win, if the landowner nominates it. Please respect private
property rules.
###