Re: E-M:/ where's the environmental justice?

Enviro-Mich message from "Charles Cubbage" <CubbageC@state.mi.us>

I read your note with interest regarding the position of the MDEQ.  I serve on the Chemical Manufacturers Association, Responsible Care Public Advisory Panel, a national cross section of 15-20 people whose backgrounds include a Baptist minister, steel union rep, toxicologist, Ariz environmental advocate, Sierra Club rep, etc.  The group provides CMA with feedback on how we feel CMA is doing with respect to the Responsible Care Program.  Responsible Care is a very broad program looking at environmental, health and safety, product stewardship and other related issues.

At our April quarterly meeting, environmental justice was the issue and to their credit, CMA has prepared EJ materials for its members targeted at plant managers, noting that the materials are not the local EJ program, but a starting point that must be added to, based on local concerns and details.

>>> "RASHID BARKAJI" <ACCESS-COM@worldnet.att.net> 04/22 9:56 AM >>>
Enviro-Mich message from "RASHID BARKAJI" <ACCESS-COM@worldnet.att.net>

Dave Dempsey is exactly right that the arguments put forward by Harding in
opposing the EPA guidance on environmental justice (Title VI cases) are
exactly the types of arguments put forward by those in the old South who
opposed the original passage of civil rights legislation. We need to be
reminding people that this is nothing new -- its the 1964 Civil Rights Act!
The EPA is simply starting to enforce this law in their environmental
protection efforts. It
is not new legislation, it is simply guidelines for dealing with cases that
are
currently pending.

It's not, as Harding suggests, coming from "inside the Beltway" government
bureaucrats, it is a response by the EPA to the dozens of civil rights
cases currently pending, and brought by communities around the country who
believe their civil rights are being violated. Harding's remarks in the
Detroit News and WJR, that this will "end development in Detroit" are
absurd, and total unsubstantiated.

Kathryn Savoie
Environmental Program Director
Arab Community Center for Economic & Social Services
2651 Saulino Court, Dearborn MI 48120
313-842-7010 (phone), 313-842-5150 (fax)
e-mail: ACCESS-COM@worldnet.att.net