[Date Prev][Date Next][Date Index]
E-M:/ Job Announcement
- Subject: E-M:/ Job Announcement
- From: Michigan Land Use Institute <email@example.com>
- Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 16:38:40 -0400
- List-Name: Enviro-Mich
- Reply-To: Michigan Land Use Institute <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Enviro-Mich message from Michigan Land Use Institute <email@example.com>
The Michigan Land Use Institute, a non-profit environmental research and
advocacy organization and publisher of the quarterly Great Lakes Bulletin,
is searching for a skilled and experienced journalist. The successful
candidate will contribute to the Bulletin, and to special research reports.
He or she will develop independent articles and commentary for state and
national publications, and for state and national radio. The
journalist/organizer also will assist in grass roots organizing, develop
campaign strategies, and communicate effectively in support of the
Institute’s mission of gaining land use policy reform in Michigan and
· Three years experience as a professional newspaper or magazine journalist.
· Excellent writing skills.
· Familiarity with environmental and land use issues.,
· Disposition of an advocate, rather than a dispassionate analyst. Someone
who enjoys meeting people, speaking in public settings, and has experience
with both. Direct experience with grass roots organizing is a plus.
· Ability to build and mobilize grass roots constituencies.
· Ability to conduct sophisticated research, undertake cogent analysis, and
frame and translate technical issues for a lay audience.
· Versatility to support multiple projects simultaneously.
· Flexibility and enthusiasm to work closely with colleagues.
· Capacity to direct Institute projects.
· Work with Executive Director in conducting research and writing for the
Great Lakes Bulletin, the Institute’s quarterly magazine.
· Contribute articles to state and national publications.
· Contribute broadcast commentary to state and national public radio.
· Work with the Executive Director, Associate Director, and Editorial
Director to prepare well-written accounts of project activities for the
Great Lakes Bulletin, and for other publications.
· Write press releases, letters, position papers, research reports, and
other documents to strengthen the Institute’s grass roots projects.
· Prepare and deliver convincing testimony in public meetings and
· Work with the Institute staff to broaden the reach of the organization in
public meetings, private gatherings, at conferences, and with coalition
· Assist staff in reaching out to build the Institute’s membership through
direct mail solicitations and other techniques.
Assist Executive Director in designing and implementing the Public Trust
Alliance, a statewide project to counter the influence of the property
rights movement in Michigan. It is anticipated that after gaining
experience the journalist/organizer will:
· Refine project goals and update core mission and strategy documents.
· Identify core constituencies and recruit supporters.
· Promote projects in public forums.
· Execute an effective communications strategy.
· Carry out project activities.
· Manage project personnel.
Computer skills: excellent familiarity and aptitude with Microsoft Word
Hours: Full time
Salary & Benefits: starting at $30,000
Location: The successful applicant will be based in Benzonia, Michigan and
be willing to travel.
To Apply: Please send letter, resume, examples of published work, and at
least three references to:
Michigan Land Use Institute
P.O. Box 228
Benzonia, MI 49616
The Michigan Land Use Institute is an independent, non-profit organization
that conducts policy research and works with citizens to link environmental
goals with economic development. The Institute is an equal opportunity
employer, considering candidates without regard to race, gender, sexual
preference, religion, or political affiliation.
MICHIGAN LAND USE INSTITUTE
"Careful research and reasoned advocacy
to protect the environment, enhance
economic opportunity, and support
P.O. Box 228
Benzonia, MI 49616
616-882-4723 /*\ 616-882-7350 fax
**NOTE: Please make sure to include the name
of the person you're writing to in the
subject line of your message.**
ENVIRO-MICH: Internet List and Forum for Michigan Environmental
and Conservation Issues and Michigan-based Citizen Action. Archives at
Postings to: firstname.lastname@example.org For info, send email to
email@example.com with a one-line message body of "info enviro-mich"