Re: E-M:/ Heads Up:Tire burning proposal at Dundee ement

Enviro-Mich message from DAWri87302 <DAWri87302@aol.com>

<< At 02:57 PM 4/28/1998 EDT, you wrote:

 >NOTE FROM: Craig Kendziorski              Phone: (517) 496-5373
 >           DCC AEM Macro-Electronics PE    FAX:  (517) 496-7015
 >           EMail:kendziorski@dcrn.e-mail.com     DCC Mail: #128
 >SUBJECT: E-M:/ Heads Up:Tire burning proposal at Dundee ement
 >
 >A couple concerns/questions with the present "environmental approach" to
 >cement kilns.
 >
 >If we dont burn/incinerate tires what do we do with all the tires in
 >the US?  Piling them up or burying them till they rot and/or eventually
 >burn uncontrollably doesnt sound like a very environmentally friendly
 >alternative?

Why is it that the first thing we think of doing with our garbage is burning
it?  Controlled or uncontrolled burning produces all kinds of combustion
products.  Burning tires takes a solid material vaporizes it and releases the
products into the atmosphere to get deposited where the winds take it.  It's
kind of like the ultimate in dispersion, where it goes only the wind knows.
But, its not my problem now!  Tires are a huge disposal problem and burning
them only takes the problem and puts in the air instead of leaving it on the
ground.  Other options exist.

I spent a weekend in April at Solar Survival Architecture outside of Taos, NM
(www.earthship.org).  This company designs and builds passive solar rammed
earth homes and buildings.  They use tires as the molds for the rammed earth.
The tires are filled with dirt from the site and used to build thermal mass
walls.  These walls are heated by the sun during the day and release their
heat at night.  The tire carcasses are surrounded by dirt, plaster, and adobe.
Seeing the finished building you would never think that tires and rammed earth
were the main construction materials.  The homes are beautiful and sustainable
and warm.

I've heard, but have not confirmed, that tire carcasses after shredding have
been used to make jogging tracks as well as practice landing pits for ski
jumpers.  Why not ask the tire manufacturers to look for ways to incorporate
used tire material in new tires, like what is done with recycled paper.  These
approaches seem much more beneficial to the humans and the environment than
consuming and burning the waste.

Regards,

David Wright
dawri87302@aol.com

 >Although I am all for improved control/requirements on the cement
 >industry switching to better/cleaner fuels (oil/gas based fuels instead of
coal
 >based) has its own issues... Oil/Gas are very non renewable.
 >Burning tires or coal helps to save oil and gas.
 >Also, arent many of these emissions (HCl, lead, mercury) rather independent
 >of the fuel source used?

I'm not sure what the material used in tires is produced from, but I don't
think it is a renewable resource.  It would be interesting to know what is the
source of the rubber in tires, if it is rubber?  Don't we produce rubbers from
oil or some similar compound?