E-M:/ Clean Michigan Initiative

Enviro-Mich message from "Tracy  Mehan" <mehang@state.mi.us>

I would like to clarify a few points on the Clean Michigan Initiative mentioned in Dave Dempsey's recent communication.  His reference to "community water cleanup"  I believe means "combined sewer overflows," which are the responsibilities of communities to address under their NPDES permits.  Many communities around the state are moving forward to meet their responsibilities drawing on their own resources as well as funding or loans under federal/state programs.

It should also be kept in mind that, while the bills on CMI earmark $60 million for acute health cleanups, this is on top of $25 million of general fund already available for this purpose annually.  A final point:  all brownfield sites are contaminated sites.  Cleaning them up, of necessity, removes, remediates or otherwise secures large amounts of hazardous materials from or in the environment.  Thanks for your interest.