E-M:/ Fwd: Starbucks update

 Hello folks,

 Just a little update on the anti-Starbucks fight here in Madison.  We sent
 a letter to Starbucks CEO, Howard Schultz, today with over 200 signatures
 from our tabling in Madison.  The same letter has also been sent to the
 media, and our office has already been contacted by WI Public Radio.  A
 Starbucks PR rep. has also phoned us to find out what we're up to and just
 how much we know...

 Tonight - Thurs. April 30 - at 6:00 pm in Catacombs Coffeeshop (731 State
 St.), there will be a strategy meeting with local coffeeshop owners and
 other activists on how to deal with Starbucks' impending invasion.  Next
 Wed - May 6th at 12:00 Noon - there will also be a "Starbucks Relocation
 Rally" outside their wannabe outlet (Lake St. end of State St.)

 Public response from tabling has been overwhelmingly negative.  One older
 man told a horror story about how Starbucks killed his son's successful
 coffeeshop in Chicago through exactly the dirty business tactics described
 elsewhere.  Another woman told how when she worked at Starbucks the climate
 was painfully corporate, despite all the hype to the contrary, with
 hierarchical management, false advertising, etc. etc.  She said the
 relatively better pay and healthcare benefits weren't worth the
 hypocritical attitude and brainwashing required.  Another person told how
 their brother was fired from a Starbucks for being "too gay" - apparently
 that doesn't fit their upscale image either.  Starbucks is also virulently
 anti-union (like every other corporation these days)

 Those who want more info on Starbucks should check out the "In These Times"
 article (Nov. 11, 1996) and/or the chronology of the extended Starbucks
 union organizing fight in Canada, documented on the CAW/TCA homepage.

 Thanks for choosing organic fair trade coffee, clean water, or whatever may
 be your socially responsible beverage of choice.   - John Peck

-- BEGIN included message

[...]

-- END included message