E-M:/ Lake Superior Water Diversion-its starting...

Enviro-Mich message from "FOLK" <folk@mail.portup.com>

Hi
As feared, just days on the heals of Engler's authorization of Great Lakes
water diversion, we now hear about a man who has asked for, and received
permission from Canada, to send Lake Superior water to Asia. Talk about
outside of the Great Lakes Basin!  It does not involve alot of water but
opens a floodgate of possibilities since Canada apparently is not required
to consult the US on diversion of Great Lakes water.

According to the April 30 issue of our local newpaper:
"The Canadian Environmental Ministry gave Nova Group of Sault Ste. Marie,
Ont. Canada a permit March 31, 1998 to take 10 million liters per day or up
to 600 million liters per year from Lake Superior. The permit expires Nov
30. 2002....The company plans to ship the water to Asia, where it will be
sold..."

If you haven't heard about this yet, read about it at:
http://www.upgroup.com/gazette/
cj