E-M:/ canadian government wants to nix bottling of lake superior

Enviro-Mich message from davemec@voyager.net (Dave Dempsey)

Responding to a permit issued last month by the Ontario Ministry of the
Environment, Canadian Foreign Affairs Minister Lloyd Axworthy says he wants
to block the proposed withdrawal of up to 600 million litres a year of Lake
Superior water for shipment to Asia.

In Tuesday's Toronto Globe and Mail, Axworthy said, "What we're looking at
is the real question of the large-scale export of fresh water, which we
certainly have always taken a strong stance against."  He added, "We're now
examining various pieces of legislation...to determine if there is some
form of prevention that can be applied."

Although the proposed diversion is relatively small against the large
volume of Great Lakes water, it still adds up to more than 50 tankers a
year, according to the Houghton Gazette, and has unleashed fears of the
precedent for further commercialization of Great Lakes water.  Last week,
Congressman Bart Stupak urged U.S. Secretary of State Madeline Albright to
investigate the proposal and raise concerns with Canadian officials.

Dave Dempsey
Michigan Environmental Council
119 Pere Marquette Dr., Suite 2A
Lansing, MI  48912