Re: E-M:/ Re: / Immigrants and the Environment

Enviro-Mich message from Jose Ricardo Batres-Marroquin <pepito@umich.edu>

Mr. Flynn,

The core of the matter here is not whether this kind of statements divide
the environmentalist community.  The point is that environmental justice
can never be realized without social and economic justice.  If the Sierra
Club supports a policy of zero population growth with a net immigration
component included, then they ARE anti-immigrant and there's nothing else
to it.  Unitiy for the sake of unity is worth nothing.  Unity in the
environmental movement should be based on congruence of ideals and
interests, not simply in the "more is better" philosophy.

Salud!
Jose Batres