E-M:/ Timber marking CORRECTION

Folks:

I raised concerns in my last posting about how the MDNR will fulfill its
obligation to mark trees, as mandated in the current year's budget and as
under debate in the Senate for the budget for next year.  A couple of DNR
folks, including Forest Management Division Chief John Robertson, have assured
us the marking will only occur on trees that were identified in the
compartment review process as possibly available for cutting.  This is
encouraging news for the immediate situation on the forests, and reflects the
DNR's efforts to balance competing demands.

This does NOT diminish the concerns that have been raised about the
Legislature attempting to mandate these marking levels, and in fact is simply
a credit to the DNR for trying to deal with a difficult problem that will
become worse over the years if this "boilerplate" language remains in place.

Again, please take time now to write/call/fax your State Senator and ask
him/her to OPPOSE THE TIMBER MARKING MANDATE in HB 5591, the DNR Budget Bill,
when it comes to the floor of the Senate!  Stay tuned for more details!

Anne Woiwode, Sierra Club