Re: E-M:/ Re: / Immigrants and the Environment

Enviro-Mich message from John D Swerdlow <swerdlow@umich.edu>

Perhaps there is a distinction here between "anti-immigrant" and
"anti-immigration."  One can believe that immigration should be limited
even more tightly than it is and at the same time believe that immigrants
should be treated well.

There are many ways in which our high-consumption economy contributes to
environmental degradation and perpetuates such consumption patterns around
the world.  Nonetheless, immigration does contribute to population growth,
and relatively small changes in year-to-year population growth have large
impacts in the long run.  Tens of millions of extra people will have a
measurable impact on local environmental issues in this country.

-John S.