FW: E-M:/ Re: / Immigrants and the Environment

Enviro-Mich message from "Tim Flynn" <tflynn@freeway.net>

Kathryn

I still disagree with the anti-immigrant broad brush, but I do agree with
the rest of your statement.   A law that restricts immigration into to the
US is not a solution to world population growth, and we are now a global
species.   We no longer live within local ecosystems, we are no longer
constrained by them.   Therefore only global population demographics matter.

I voted with the winning side on the Sierra Club ballot, but to call our
opponents "anti" is objectifying and mental shorthand for ignoring their
legitimate arguments.  I guess I'm just tired of enviro against enviro, we
are wasting so much effort changing the Club that we forget to change the
world.

I admit to the same tendency, labeling someone I disagree with. I remember
the last Sierra Club ballot on forest policy.  I was on the losing side of
that vote.   All the labeling of each other has hurt the Club's forest
reform efforts.  Too much intolerance, not much social justice in that!

Tim