E-M:/ Pro Hockey at NAFTA's Mercy: Is nothing sacred?

With the Redwings still alive in the playoffs, this seems relevant to
Enviro-Mich folks!  Anne

 First dolphins, then turtles, now Gretsky.  Read it and weap sports fans:

 Canadian trade expert says U.S. teams unfairly subsidized

         Associated Press

         OTTAWA -- An international trade expert Tuesday urged the Canadian
         government to investigate whether subsidies given to NHL teams in the
         United States might violate the North American Free Trade Agreement.

         Appearing before a parliamentary subcommittee studying the state of
         sports in Canada, Barry Appleton said Canada's six NHL clubs could
         use NAFTA to challenge hundreds of millions of dollars in subsidies
         given to U.S. clubs by local and state governments.

         The Toronto-based lawyer said the Canadian government has failed to
         use sections of the trade deal to prod Washington to compensate
         Canada's NHL teams.

         "When it comes to softwood lumber, salmon, automobiles or steel we
         have no hesitation about getting in there," he said. "When it comes
         to our national sport, why aren't we doing that?"

         Senior executives of several Canadian pro teams have told the
         subcommittee over the past few weeks that they have trouble competing
         because U.S. teams are given tax breaks, new arenas and other
         incentives.

         "All I care about is that Canada's sports community is treated
         fairly," said Appleton.

         John Klassen, the director general for trade policy with the
         Department of International Trade, also appeared before the
         committee. He wasn't swayed by Appleton's 25-page presentation.

         He offered to have department lawyers study the complicated section
         on investments referred to by Appleton and other aspects of the deal,
         but held out little expectation that Canada would raise the matter
         with Washington.

         "We have some differences of view on whether or not there is a solid
         case here under NAFTA. Our lawyers haven't really looked at this in
         great detail," Klassen said.