E-M:/ Fwd: Mobile Chernobyl Heads to Senate Floor

In a message dated 98-05-27 09:19:24 EDT, bailey@ilsr.org writes:

<< Subj:	 Mobile Chernobyl Heads to Senate Floor
 Date:	98-05-27 09:19:24 EDT
 From:	bailey@ilsr.org (John Bailey)
 Reply-to:	bailey@ilsr.org
 To:	bailey@ilsr.org (John Bailey)

 ME3 Netters-
 Another update on federal nuclear waste legislation from NIRS. If you
 want to contact your Senator check the following web site for the
 appropriate e-mail address:  http://www.senate.gov/senator/membmail.html

 Here are e-mail addresses for the Minnesota Senators with clickable
 links:

 Senator Rod Grams - mail_grams@grams.senated.gov
 "mailto:mail_grams@grams.senate.gov"
 Senator Paul Wellstone - senator@wellstone.senate.gov
 "mailto:senator@wellstone.senate.gov"

 JB.

 ALERT!

 MOBILE CHERNOBYL TO REACH SENATE FLOOR JUNE 2!

 MOBILIZE NOW!

 Senate Majority Leader Trent Lott (R-Miss.) filed a cloture motion last
 Friday, just before the Senate closed for the Memorial Day recess. The
 motion is intended to cut off debate (ie, a promised filibuster from
 Nevada
 Sens. Richard Bryan and Harry Reid), which means that Lott intends to
 bring
 up the Mobile Chernobyl bill for another Senate vote next week.

 At this point, we are not sure what the bill's number will be (earlier
 bills
 are numbered S. 104 and HR 1270, this version may have one of those
 numbers,
 it may have a new number); however, everyone on Capitol Hill will know
 what
 you are talking about when you call and ask them to defeat the Mobile
 Chernobyl legislation.

 We need to get those calls, telegrams, faxes, e-mails and letters in all

 this week and early next week! And don't forget to send in letters to
 the
 editor, call in radio talk shows and otherwise help get this as much
 publicity as possible--the more publicity the more likely we will win.

 We know many of you have called and written your Senators on this issue
 before. Please do so again; they need to know that this remains a
 vitally
 important issue. And try to get as many of your friends and neighbors to

 call in as well. Last time our margin was two votes--we need to keep
 that
 margin! Besides asking them to vote against the bill, ask your Senators
 vote support the filibuster and vote against cloture.

 Remind your Senators, especially the Democrats, that President Clinton
 will
 veto this legislation and that you expect your Senator's support for
 that veto.

 A new development is that last week, Energy Secretary Frederico Pena met

 with the nuclear industry and offered them what would have amounted to
 tens
 of millions of dollars in Nuclear Waste Fund money to pay the utilities'

 costs for on-site storage since DOE did not meet its 1998 contractual
 deadline for a permanent high-level waste storage site.  But the
 utilities
 rejected the offer. This makes absolutely clear what we have said all
 along:
 the utilities' only interest is moving their lethal high-level waste off
 of
 their property. They don't care where it goes, whether it's safe,
 whether
 it's economical, they just want to get out of their title and liability
 responsibilities. There is no waste storage "crisis." It is just a
 manufactured political excuse and it should be rejected for the consumer

 scam and environmental nightmare that it is.

 If you need more info on the Mobile Chernobyl legislation, check the
 Don't
 Waste America section of NIRS' website (http://www.nirs.org) or call
 NIRS at
 202-328-0002.

 Thank you. With your mobilization and activism this week, we can win
 this thing!

 Michael Mariotte
 Executive Director
 NIRS

[...]