E-M:/ GLWQA hearings

Enviro-Mich message from GreenPlanet <riccawu@MNSi.Net>

NEWS ALERT

Citizens Environment Alliance

>Date: June 5, 1998
>
>Re:
>
>Citizen Hearings on Great Lakes-St. Lawrence River Water Pollution
>
>Tuesday July 7, 1998 -- Lenox Handicap Centre/ AB Ford-Brush
Park-(Dickerson Street to Lenox from east Jefferson) Detroit Michigan.  5:00
PM - 9:00 PM

>Contact:  Citizens Environment Alliance 519-973-1116/ 313-822-6118
>

>Dear friends and colleagues,
>
>The Citizens Environmental Alliance and Great Lakes United are pleased to
invite you and your fellow colleagues to participate in the upcoming
Detroit/Windsor Citizen Hearing on Great Lakes--St. Lawrence River Water
Pollution.

>Great Lakes United (GLU),  and local environmental organizations, such as
the CEA, are holding eight hearings on improving water quality across the
basin, this summer and fall.  On July 7, you are invited to join
Detroit/Windsor residents, citizens from surrounding communities, government
officials, scientists, representatives of the health community, workers and
environmental groups to address water pollution and related health
challenges that are faced by our community and the basin.  This is an
opportunity to discuss protection for the local ecosystem against further
releases of dangerous chemicals into our neighbourhoods, including Lake St.
Clair and Lake Erie.  It is also an opportunity to ensure the clean up of
contaminanted sediments in the grossly polluted Detroit River.  You can
speak out against the Conners Creek Power Plant from further polluting the
Detroit River and surrounding environment.

>Have Your Say, come to the hearings at the Lenox Handicap Centre located at
ABFord-Brush Park - Dickerson to Lenox (off east Jefferson) on the shores of
the Detroit River in Detroit.  Refreshments available.

>The Great Lakes Water Quality Agreement (GLWQA), is a promise by US and
Canada federal and regional governments to stop the use and release of toxic
chemicals into the Lakes and our communities and a commitment to cleaning up
contaminated lands.  Government cutbacks and industry pressures to
deregulate environmental laws threaten the strong goals of the Agreement.

>The Citizen Hearings are an effort to support the right of citizens to
participate in decisions that effect the health of their families and
neighbourhoods. An important goal of the hearings is to facilitate and
coordinate citizen input into the review.  GLU will document your stories
and recommendations and present a 'citizens' agenda' for protecting the
Great Lakes ecosystem and human health.  GLU will present the agenda to
governments.  Each voice is critical. Speakers will have 5 minutes to
address a panel. Participants are also encouraged to submit their
testimonials in writing to the panel. From workers to youth to government
representatives, the Citizens Environmental Alliance and GLU encourage you
to attend:

> 	*Strengthen the citizens' agenda for protecting and restoring the Great
Lakes ecosystem;

> 	*Discuss the present condition of the Lakes and Detroit River and the
importance of the GLWQA in increasing the protection of community health and
the clean up of our waters and natural areas;

> 	*Support further cooperation among basin citizens, groups and governments
in implementing the goals of the GLWQA; and,

> 	*Promote local groups and organisations in their work to address Great
Lakes and Connecting channel issues, including the St. Lawrence River.

>The Great Lakes Water Quality Agreement
>
>Public outcry for clean water created the Great Lakes Water Quality
Agreement (GLWQA) in 1972.  The Agreement has helped citizens raise world
standards in reducing pollution. We depend on the GLWQA to provide safe
drinking water, restore rivers and natural areas devastated by pollution and
help our communities protect the health and lives of our children. However,
25 years later, progress in meeting these goals are at a critical impasse.

>Come to Detroit On July 7.  For more information call the Citizens
Environment Alliance at 519-973-1116 or 313-822-6118.

>Sincerely,
>

>Rick Coronado					Margaret Wooster
Research Coordinator				Executive Director		Citizens Environmental Alliance
Great Lakes United
Windsor 519-973-1116

Pegg Roberts & Mary Ginnebaugh
Citizens Environment Alliance
Detroit 313-822-6118
Windsor & Area Social Justice & Ecological Network
PO Box 548, Windsor, ON  N9A 6M6
Voice:  519-973-1116  Fax 519-255-7361
E-mail:  riccawu@mnsi  (GreenPlanet)
web page: http://www.mnsi.net/~cea