E-M:/ Lake Superior,development on toxic land

Enviro-Mich message from David Allen <dallen@nmu.edu>

(Folks:  This letter, by Virginia Killough, was originally sent to MI PIRG;
we thought that others might be able to share some thoughts as well.  DEA)

Can you help us?  We are a group of concerned citizens of Marquette and
environs who oppose development on an old industrial site that is
contaminated with multiple toxic substances. The site is right next to our
eroding shoreline and a treasured city park. The Chicago developers who
came in here wowed the city government, but nobody asked the people, and
there as much opposition.  The proposed (and approved) development includes
housing for 600+ people, retail shops, and two 12 story towers.  There is
no similar development in Marquette or anywhere in the UP as far as we
know.  The developers got permission to just cover up the contaminants
instead of clean them up.  The people living in the surrounding
neighborhood are concerned about disturbing the contaminated soils during
construction.  We are also concerned about the effects of the contamination
on the people who will live in the condos and know nothing about it.  We
are also concerned that disturbing the contaminated soils will result in
further lake pollution from airborne and run-off.

All of this has been pushed through in just the last 6 months or so. We
are trying everything we can think of, but we don't know how to stop it.
The developers will take possession of the land on the 30th of June.

Please, can you help us or put us in contact with someone who can?

		Sincerely,
			Ginnie Killough
			Citizens for a Community Lakeshore
			Marquette, Michigan