Re: E-M:/ FW: KEEBLER CO. AND HERSHEY CHOCOLATE USA: OFFICIAL S'MORES OF THE STATE PARKS

Enviro-Mich message from Karen Tuerk <ktuerk@execpc.com>

(See origional text below)

AAAARRRGGGHHH!!! Your KIDDING!  What's next, BILLBOARDS on state park land
advertising, WINNABAGO, the official RV of MI State Parks, or how about POSTERS in
park bathrooms pushing COORS, the official beer of MI State Parks.  The answer is
a resounding NO:  We do not need further commercialization in our state parks,
national parks, or other public lands and places (schools, libraries)...or any
commercialization/corporatization for that matter.  Is nothing sacred???

Corporations like Coca-Cola and McDonalds have already invaded our schools,
providing much needed moneys and resources --educational material often with a
corporate slant (just take a look at some of the Weyerhauser environmental
"teaching" material, hmmm clearcuts gooood).  In the Coca-Cola/McDonalds case,
these goodies are provided in exchange for contracts to serve McD food and Coke in
our schools...(mmmm....good nutrition for our little ones-they also will learn
early that Coke Is It!!)

But I digress.  (Not really, it's all they same thing...the further
corporatization of America! Or is that Ameri Co.)  Before this press release, had
anyone heard about this?  Was the public even asked if they agreed this funding
source was acceptable? Probably not. On the surface, this may seem harmless, but
we must look at the big picture.

I think a better question to ask is WHY aren't state parks and schools receiving
adequate funding through taxes?
Why must they resort to such gimmicky or invasive corporate avenues of funding.
My guess is because too much of our tax dollars are going to corporate welfare
projects that do not benefit the public at large but the corporate pocketbooks of
the few. One only needs to look at the current Senate Interior Appropriations Bill
which has approx. 20 anti-environemental riders attached...much of this is
corporate pork (ex. $30 million dollars to run a 30 mile road (a million $ a mile)
through the Izembeck National Wildlife Refuge in Alaska...a wildlife REFUGE). Or
just look at the U.S. Forest Service--one big corporate front group. We, as
taxpayers, lose hundreds of millions of dollars a year in corporate timber, mining
and grazing subsidies and for what?...degraded ecosystems, loss of species,
erosion, floods....

I say we burn effigies of the Keebler Elf over a big campfire at the entrances of
MI State Parks this summer....
What do you think?   ; )

Thanks for hearing me out!
Karen Tuerk