Re: E-M:/ FW: KEEBLER CO. AND HERSHEY CHOCOLATE USA: OFFICIAL S'MORES OF THE STATE PARKS

Enviro-Mich message from "Tim Flynn" <tflynn@freeway.net>

>I don't think it's such a bad idea.  At least it's a sponsorship that's
>a family thing and not one of the alcohol or tobacco companies.  Might
>bring back fond memories for people.
>
>Also, any extra money to help the state parks is a good idea.  A lot of
>people from out of state use our parks and don't have to pay taxes here
>in the state like we do (except for sales tax and that's high enough).
>As long as the state parks get the full benefit of the extra money and
>it's not diverted into some general fund, I say let's give it a try.

>Karen Jankowski
>U of M Environmental Studies student

Karen,
The money does offset the loss of general fund money, it doesn't increase
funding for parks.  It also make our parks more commercial, even if not as
bad as tobacco or alcohol.   Let private enterprise, buy land, create
commercial parks and cater to those customers.   On State Park lands, lets
raise our standards and reduce the commercialization. Let's let nature be
heard and seen, leave the commercials to TV.

Will that take more tax money, yes, higher taxes?  Not necessarily, if we
change our priorities.   The people of this state used to make that
commitment, why are we unwilling to do so today?

Tim