Re: E-M:/ FW: KEEBLER CO. AND HERSHEY CHOCOLATE USA: OFFICI

Enviro-Mich message from "Molly Cole" <COLE@maelstrom.cc.wmich.edu>

I think people have hit the nail on the head when they ask why we're not
willing to pay the taxes to support parks and schools. The anti tax mantra
that so many people have accepted as gospel is taking a lot of power out of
the hands of the people and putting it into the hands of the corporations.
Our schools are being funded by business so our kids can be prepared to be
better workers/resources for the industrial machine not so they can be wise
or intelligent people.

Corporate versus public funding is having a tremendous impact on what's
being taught and researched at public universities. More of the research at
public universities should be for the good of the public. That should
include educating and protecting the public from the negative aspects of
industry not just research to help industry grow in the hope that we'll
have more jobs so they can sell us more stuff. There was recently a story
on NPR about corporations and the governor of Louisiana threatening to pull
major research funds because faculty at the university had been advising an
eco-justice group who'd been trying to stop a PVC plant.

I realize I just took a big leap from S'mores and State Parks but the point
is we should be willing to collectively pay for the things that improve our
lives so they're available to all us. It will cost us less in the long run
than the round about route of getting you to buy more candy so the profits
from the candy sales can be used to do more advertising to get you to buy
more candy which probably has all sorts of environmental costs and is going
to make you fat and rot your teeth.

A much simpler answer. If you don't like it, protest by making deluxe
S'mores using Meijer Cinnamon Grahams and a York peppermint patty or Thin
Mint.

Molly Cole
Program Coordinator
Environmental Studies
239 Moore Hall
Western Michigan University
Kalamazoo, MI 49008
Phone: (616) 387-2716 Fax: (616) 387-4998
http://www.wmich.edu/science/docs/esp/esp.html
"If you think you're too small to make a difference, you've never been
in bed with a mosquito."