Re: E-M:/ Full Story

Enviro-Mich message from JerrodM@aol.com

Once Al Gore has opined on a subject, it's usually necessary to get the real
story (sometimes known as the true facts). Here's one example. Not addressed
in this rebuttal is the fact that temperatures aloft apparently show no
measurable change, a finding totally inconsistent with Gore's global warming
hypothesis. [In all honesty, I only read of that observation in the original
AP article, but have not been able to verify it.] At any rate, here is another
side, followed by the original post:

Al Gore warms up
Copyright 1998 The Washington Times
July 16, 1998
--
Is there any misfortune, disaster or otherwise unwelcome phenomenon out there
that Vice President Al Gore can't blame on alleged global warming? Last time

"The evidence of global warming keeps piling up, month after month, week after
week," he said at a White House news conference. "How long is it going to take
before these people in the Congress get the message? People are sweltering out
here."

Mr. Gore acknowledged that he couldn't actually prove global warming was to
blame for the heat wave, which is rather the point after all. What he did do
was release a global temperature analysis which purported to show that this
was the hottest June on record. The mean temperature for the month was about
one degree hotter than the monthly average and about 0.4 degrees above the
previous high for June in 1994.

Before anyone starts house hunting in Iceland, it's worth noting that about
the same time Mr. Gore was issuing his apocalyptic warnings, a scientist in
Alabama was issuing a press release of his own, playing down the heat wave.
The problem, said Dr. John Christy of the University of Alabama's Earth System
Science Laboratory in Huntsville, is that reports of record high temperatures
in the United States may be based on incomplete records from the National
Weather Service.

Those records, he said, often don't go back as far as records kept at the
local level, which can date back a century or more. Mr. Christy makes no
reference to Mr. Gore's remarks. His findings are still notable. Although June
1998 was indeed a warm one in Huntsville, it was by no means the warmest. Mr.
Christy said 1914, 1921, 1936, 1943, 1952 and 1953 were all hotter.

"We realize the timely nature of media services and the temptation to report a
particular event as the hottest, coldest, most, least, wettest, driest, etc.,"
he said. "We will begin soon to digitize all of Alabama's weather records so
we can offer a more expeditious and representative picture of today's
'extremes' in terms of over 100 years of Alabama's climate. In the mean time,
when old timers say, 'aw shucks, it was worse back in '52, '53 and '54,'
believe them."

Hot as it isn't, Mr. Gore is still sweating the politics of the matter. The
Kyoto climate protocols, the vice president's obsession, are in serious
trouble. The accord seeks to limit possibly climate-changing greenhouse
emissions, except of course in 132 countries including China, India, Brazil
and Mexico. But a follow-up meeting in Bonn, Germany, last month failed to
resolve disagreements over the plan.

Meanwhile U.S. lawmakers, who think the plan would put the country at a
competitive disadvantage given all the exemptions for other countries, have
declined to finance the administration's $6.3 billion initiative to limit
emissions by promoting research on energy-efficient technology. And they are
threatening to pass legislation that would block the administration from
taking steps to implement the protocols before they are ratified by the
Senate.

Hence Mr. Gore's highly publicized campaign to fend off such legislation by
claiming that there are links between climate change and heat waves, forest
fires, tornadoes and anything he can find at hand. When will lawmakers get the
message? The bad news for Mr. Gore is that it appears they already have.

The original posting, labeled as "Full Story" (!)