Re: E-M:/ FW: KEEBLER CO. AND HERSHEY CHOCOLATE USA: OFFICIAL S'MORES OF THE STATE PARKS

Enviro-Mich message from Ann Frisch <fan46@mail.execpc.com>

Let's move the discussion to action.  Can someone in Michigan provide us the
e mail addresses of the state newspapers for letters to the editor.

Corporations have it great: they get corporate welfare, then donate it back
to the taxpayer, then get free advertising and make it sound like a
charitable contribution.  Enough!

Ann Frisch

At 08:03 PM 7/16/98 -0500, Karen Tuerk wrote:
>Enviro-Mich message from Karen Tuerk <ktuerk@execpc.com>
>
>(See origional text below)
>
>AAAARRRGGGHHH!!! Your KIDDING!  What's next, BILLBOARDS on state park land
>advertising, WINNABAGO, the official RV of MI State Parks, or how about
POSTERS in
>park bathrooms pushing COORS, the official beer of MI State Parks.  The
answer is
>a resounding NO:  We do not need further commercialization in our state parks,
>national parks, or other public lands and places (schools, libraries)...or any
>commercialization/corporatization for that matter.  Is nothing sacred???
>
>Corporations like Coca-Cola and McDonalds have already invaded our schools,
>providing much needed moneys and resources --educational material often with a
>corporate slant (just take a look at some of the Weyerhauser environmental
>"teaching" material, hmmm clearcuts gooood).  In the Coca-Cola/McDonalds case,
>these goodies are provided in exchange for contracts to serve McD food and
Coke in
>our schools...(mmmm....good nutrition for our little ones-they also will learn
>early that Coke Is It!!)
>
>But I digress.  (Not really, it's all they same thing...the further
>corporatization of America! Or is that Ameri Co.)  Before this press
release, had
>anyone heard about this?  Was the public even asked if they agreed this funding
>source was acceptable? Probably not. On the surface, this may seem
harmless, but
>we must look at the big picture.
>
>I think a better question to ask is WHY aren't state parks and schools
receiving
>adequate funding through taxes?
>Why must they resort to such gimmicky or invasive corporate avenues of funding.
>My guess is because too much of our tax dollars are going to corporate welfare
>projects that do not benefit the public at large but the corporate
pocketbooks of
>the few. One only needs to look at the current Senate Interior
Appropriations Bill
>which has approx. 20 anti-environemental riders attached...much of this is
>corporate pork (ex. $30 million dollars to run a 30 mile road (a million $
a mile)
>through the Izembeck National Wildlife Refuge in Alaska...a wildlife
REFUGE). Or
> [...]
>Karen Tuerk
>

>Tim Flynn wrote:

>> Enviro-Mich message from "Tim Flynn" <tflynn@freeway.net>
>>
>> Do Folks have any thought on this press release?   I for one like s'mores
>> but do we have to further commercialize our State Parks?   Shouldn't we just
>> fund our parks the old fashion way; with taxes, hopefully progressive in
>> structure. or is this harmless.   Nature and advertising as the yin and
yang of
>> State
>> Parks?
>>
>> Tim Flynn
>>
>> ----------
>> From: Susan Turney <TURNEYS@STATE.MI.US>
>> To: DNRWIRE@WWW.DNR.STATE.MI.US
>> Subject: KEEBLER CO. AND HERSHEY CHOCOLATE USA:  OFFICIAL S'MORES OF THE
>> STATE PARKS
>> Date: Thu, Jul 16, 1998, 3:54 PM
>>
>> FOR IMMEIDATE RELEASE
>> 16 JULY 98
>> CONTACT:  Chris Groff, 517-335-3147
>>
>> KEEBLER CO. AND HERSHEY CHOCOLATE USA:  OFFICIAL S'MORES OF THE STATE PARKS
>>
>> LANSING -- The Michigan Department of Natural Resources, Parks and
>> Recreation Division, is excited
>> to announce a limited promotional sponsorship with Keebler Company and
>> Hershey Chocolate USA.
>> Keebler and Hershey products are the ingredients for the "official s'mores
>> of the Michigan State Parks,"
>> the traditional campfire treat of toasted marshmallow and chocolate between
>> graham crackers.
>>
>> Keebler and Hershey will insert coupons for their s'mores products in state
>> park camping reservation
>> confirmations, which are sent out when a camping reservation is made
>> through the state parks central
>> reservation number (800-44PARKS).  Coupons will also be given out on-site
>> to campers at 29 parks
>> when they register at the contact station to secure their campsite.  The
>> campaign will also involve
>> several in-store promotions and displays at supermarkets and other stores
>> around the state.  A large
>> portion of the sponsorship also provides the DNR, Parks and Recreation
>> Division, with additional
>> funding for new and existing programs.
>>
>> ###
>>
>> To remove your name from this e-mail list, send an e-mail message from your
>> own
>> e-mail address to listserv@www.dnr.state.mi.us with this in the body of
>> your message:
>>      signoff dnrwire
>> To get back on the list, send an e-mail message from your own e-mail address
>> listserv@www.dnr.state.mi.us with this in the body of your message:
>>      subscribe dnrwire your name   (Use an alias, if you prefer.)
>>
>> There's also an electronic form on the DNR home page at
>> http://www.dnr.state.mi.us/dept/listsubs.htm

>> ENVIRO-MICH:  Internet List and Forum for Michigan Environmental
>> and Conservation Issues and Michigan-based Citizen Action.   Archives at

Ann S. Frisch
Coalition to Protect Canada Geese
PO Box 8254, Oshkosh, WI 54903
http://www.icu.com/geese/coalition.html