Frank Ambrose

 From: Steve Holmer <wafcdc@igc.apc.org>

TO:       All Activists
FROM:     Steve Holmer
DATE:     July 22, 1998

SUBJECT:  Rep. Furse Withdraws Amendment

     Late Tuesday, Rep. Elizabeth Furse (D-OR) decided to
withdraw her amendment to cut logging subsidies.  She did so because
some Members were going to be "forced to vote against my
amendment" because of the deal cut by the Republican leadership to
end purchaser credits.  Rep. Furse said that the GOP deal represented
"movement toward responsible management" and she felt that rather
than force the vote, she needed to be "persistent and patient."  She also
said that Reps. George Miller (D-CA) and John Porter (R-IL) would
"re-visit this issue next year."

     This is a disappointing outcome, but we have made some very
significant progress educating the public and lawmakers about the need
to redirect logging subsidies into more beneficial programs.  Our final
vote count showed there were approximately 181 votes in support for
the Furse amendment and 253 votes against.  But, approximately 40
Republicans supporting the deal to end purchaser credits would have
supported the Furse amendment.  This means that in the absence of the
"deal" we have a working majority in the House to reduce the timber
program.  The Smith Forest Health bill was defeated by a margin of
twenty votes and the Boehlert Roads Moratorium Amendment was
approved by sixteen votes earlier this year.

     Thanks for an outstanding effort in support of the Furse
amendment.

Forest Health Language Revised
     Section 334 of the Interior bill was revised to the satisfaction of
Reps. Porter and Sherwood Boehlert (R-NY), who had been raising our
concerns to the Committee.  "We will be watching very closely to see
that this Section is not violated by using the funds for salvage logging
or road building," said Rep. Boehlert.  "The money is to be used for
projects to improve the ecology and prevent fires in areas close to
communities."  We are still concerned by the references to forest health
in this section and will be watching it closely in conference.

Other Amendments to be Offered Today
     The House did not complete work on the Interior bill yesterday
and is expected to complete it today.  Rep. George Miller (D-CA) will
offer an amendment to cut the K-V rider allowing the diversion of $75
million in reforestation dollars for agency salaries and overhead.
Miller will also offer an amendment to prohibit road building on the
Tongass National Forest.   Rep. Maurice Hinchey (D-NY) will also
propose to strike the Chugach rider allowing a construction of a road
across two roadless areas on the Chugach National Forest.  We are
supporting all three of these amendments.

The Western Ancient Forest Campaign is now American Lands, reflecting our
work with citizens nationwide to protect America's wildlife and wild places.

Steve Holmer
Campaign Coordinator

American Lands
1025 Vermont Ave. NW  3rd Floor