Re: E-M:/ REP America

Enviro-Mich message from erik herzog <erikherzog@mediaone.net>

Thanks for posting, Tamilyn, I was very glad to read your message.  As a Democrat,
I've enjoyed the tactical advantage the Dems have had by "owning" the environment
issue in the last few years, but as an environmentalist I realize very well that
the environment will fare much better when protecting it becomes a bi-partisan
issue again as it once was.  I hope you can bring your party to embrace a genuine
concern for protecting the environment.  I underline the word genuine because we
are going to start hearing a lot about Republican environmentalism as the campaign
heats up and some of it will be very disingenuous.  I read recently about a new
group called the Coalition of Republican Environmental Activists (CREA), which
turns out, in fact, top be a group of the most stalwart anti-environmental
activists in the entire Republican party.  The group is chaired by Colorado
Attorney General, Gale North, who worked for none other than James Watt, and
backed by such "environmental activists" as Trent Lott, Newt Gingrich, James
Pombo, the ESA foe, and Helen Chenoweth.  The group claims to champion
environmental protection but insists that it follow a market-based approach (no
rules, standards, or requirements), that it be carried out by the revenue-starved
state and local governments without "interference" (or support) from the federal
government, and that it never disrespect property rights in any way.  In other
words they hope to put a pro-environment spin on their anti-environment agenda.
Environmental protection will continue to be the scorned step-child that cannot
come to the table until the favored children have had their fill.  I hope REP
America is sincere about reversing all that, and if so I wish you luck.