[Date Prev][Date Next][Date Index]
E-M:/ Job Opening-Organizer
- Subject: E-M:/ Job Opening-Organizer
- From: Michigan Land Use Institute <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 17:07:06 -0400
- List-Name: Enviro-Mich
- Reply-To: Michigan Land Use Institute <email@example.com>
Enviro-Mich message from Michigan Land Use Institute <firstname.lastname@example.org>
The Michigan Land Use Institute, a non-profit economic and environmental
policy and advocacy organization, is searching for a skilled writer and
organizer to serve as Transportation Coordinator. The successful candidate
will work closely with the Executive Director and the Policy Specialist to
build public support for a statewide initiative to reform Michigan’s
We are looking for an articulate self-starter who thinks logically and
quickly, and who can effectively communicate a positive alternative vision
The Institute was founded in 1995 to establish a new approach to economic
development that strengthens communities, enhances opportunity, and
protects the state’s unmatched natural resources.
The Institute has a nine-person staff and almost 1,100 member families,
businesses, local governments, and organizations. The main office is in the
village of Benzonia, Michigan, in the northwest corner of the Lower
Peninsula. Life here fits those who seek a simple lifestyle, stunning
natural beauty, and a strong sense of community.
• Experience with grass roots organizing, and proven ability to mobilize
• Excellent writing skills. Experience as a newspaper or magazine
journalist is a plus.
• Strong public speaking skills.
• Ability to conceive and execute winning strategies.
• Familiarity with community planning, land use, and transportation issues,
and with state and federal environmental and tax policy.
• Spirit of an engaged advocate, rather than a detached analyst.
• Experience with small group facilitation, negotiation, and consensus
• Ability to work on several projects at the same time.
• Flexibility and enthusiasm for working closely with colleagues.
• Ability and willingness to travel.
• Commitment to service in the public interest.
• Identify state and local allies to support the transportation reform
initiative, and form a coalition.
• Stay in contact with coalition members, allies, and government officials
via telephone, letters, and informal meetings.
• Review and evaluate reports and budgets from the Michigan and U.S.
departments of transportation.
• Cogently analyze state and federal transportation, land use, and tax
• Conduct other research as needed.
• Write articles for newspapers and magazines, including the Institute’s
quarterly, the Great Lakes Bulletin.
• Write fact sheets, special reports, and press releases.
• Prepare and deliver testimony before state and federal officials.
• Organize and participate in regular coalition conferences.
• Speak at public gatherings.
• Support the efforts of ad hoc grass roots groups throughout Michigan
working on local transportation alternatives.
Computer Skills: Familiarity and comfort with Microsoft Office, the Windows
95 operating system, and the Internet.
Hours: Full time.
Availability: Immediate. Must be willing to work in Benzonia, Michigan.
Salary: Starting in the low $30s, plus health and retirement benefits.
To apply, send cover letter, resume, writing samples, and at least three
Michigan Land Use Institute
P.O. Box 228
Benzonia, MI 49616
The Michigan Land Use Institute is an independent, non-profit organization
that conducts research and works with policy makers and citizens
to link environmental goals with economic development. The Institute is an
equal opportunity employer, considering candidates without regard to
gender, race, sexual preference, religion, or political affiliation.
MICHIGAN LAND USE INSTITUTE
"Careful research and reasoned advocacy
to protect the environment, enhance
economic opportunity, and support
P.O. Box 228
Benzonia, MI 49616
616-882-4723 /*\ 616-882-7350 fax
ENVIRO-MICH: Internet List and Forum for Michigan Environmental
and Conservation Issues and Michigan-based Citizen Action. Archives at
Postings to: email@example.com For info, send email to
firstname.lastname@example.org with a one-line message body of "info enviro-mich"