E-M:/ Republicans battle it out -- Reply

Enviro-Mich message from nancy.shiffler@sfsierra.sierraclub.org

I would be more willing to consider the Tocquevillian environmental approaches
Tracy refers to if I had more confidence that they are in fact sincere attempts
to find other means to solve environmental problems.  There is always the
suspicion that these approaches are really an attempt to find palatable language
to mask environmentally destructive policies.

The Progressive Movement's reliance on big government solutions was a reasonable
response to the growing power of big business monopolies at the turn of the
century -- very much in the tradition of the checks and balances approach of the
Constitution.  While I fully support finding local solutions where possible, the
increasingly national and international scope of operations for those who seek
to exploit natural resources and labor calls for equally national and
international checks and balances.

Nancy Shiffler