Re: E-M:/ the case for nationwide standards -Reply

Enviro-Mich message from Lana Pollack <lanamec@voyager.net>

Re: "State delegation of Superfund"... We tried something in this spirit in
Michigan. It was the Polluter Pay legislation passed in 1990 and signed by
Governor Blanchard. It worked too but last I noticed it was gutted in 1995.
So much for trusting the states to take this responsibility. Lana

 At 03:29 PM 8/11/98 -0400, Tracy  Mehan wrote:
>Enviro-Mich message from "Tracy  Mehan" <MEHANG@state.mi.us>
>
>I agree that national standards are useful tolevel the playing fieod among
the states.  I also think that economies of scale justify a federal role in
research and setting standards.  However, this leaves alot of play in the
rope as to who does what.  For instance, Superfund would probably benefit
from state delegation.  Morever, states and localities should be expected
to step up to the plate for nonpoint source pollution(see the $50 million
in the Clean Michigan Initiative) control since most of the benefits are
local.  Again, prudential judgement can/should be made. Fisheries has
traditionally been a state responsibility and should remain so, say, on the
Great Lakes.  Regards.