E-M:/ RE: / the case for nationwide standards -Reply -Reply -Reply

Enviro-Mich message from "Tracy  Mehan" <MEHANG@state.mi.us>

I thought I had indicated that national standard made sense, e.g., with air transport issues and shared water bodies, e.g., Great Lakes.  The fact is that the standards nationally and locally have not changed for federal programs.  There is no way to avoid local or state implementation which will vary as widely as Minnesotan or Alabamian culture.  Moreover, there are site specific issues, e.g., nonpoint source pollution, cleanups.,etc. which should be subject to local decisions.  I guess what I find hard to understand is the fear of democracy at the local or state level.  You win some and you loose some, but the rules of the game should be the same.  If I might make a friendly criticism of my colleagues in the environmental community, you need to quit relying on a compliant media and get out to the grass roots.  Look at the pro-life or pro-choice groups, the pro-gun or anti-gun crowd, they elect or unelect folks outside of university towns. When was the last time an environmental group rep spoke to the local Lions or Kiwanis Club?