E-M:/ Sign on to save OUR forests

Enviro-Mich message from Frank Ambrose <snakeman@expert.cc.purdue.edu>

A few weeks ago I sent out a message with a group sign on letter to help
convince senator Levin to vote for the Bryan Amendment to the Forest
Service appropriations.  Thanks to all that signed on.

I am sending it out again to get any last signees before it is delivered
to his office and the media.

If you would like to sign on, or to help distribute it to local media
please write me back.

Thanks for your help.

Frank Ambrose
American Lands Alliance
812-337-1631

Dear Senator Levin,

We the undersigned citizen groups of Michigan are writing to urge you to vote
for the Bryan Amendment to the Senate Interior Appropriations Bill.

Each year, taxpayers spend large amounts of money to finance the timber
program in our National Forests.  Part of this money is spent to build
logging roads for the timber companies.  This subsidy costs taxpayers
approximately $88 million a year according to the Forest Service.
Independent analysts calculate the losses at $500 million.  Despite this, the
Forest Service is asking for more money to fund the timber program and build
more logging roads (including roads into roadless areas).

Michigan's National Forest are amongst the most roaded in the country.  The
2.7 million acres of National Forest contain over 10,000 miles of roads built
for or by the Forest Service. This amounts to approximately 2.4 miles of road
for every square mile.  This does not include roads built by other
governmental agencies (counties, state, federal) or the hundreds of miles of
ORV, illegal, and unaccounted for roads.

These roads cause significant problems.  They contribute to sedimentation of
rivers and streams, infiltration of exotic plant and animal species, and they
increase access ot forests for illegal activities such as poaching.  Under
Secretary of Agriculture, Jim Lyons has stated that " the number one problem
with water quality in the National Forest System is roads"(May 23, 1997).

Likewise, logging has severe affects on the environment.  It fragments
habitats, causes large amounts of erosion, and changes the climate of the
entire forest ecosystem.  It particularly affects some of the more important
species as they are becoming alarmingly rare through management decisions on
private lands (development, logging, and land use changes).  Our National
Forests are the last holdouts of many of these endangered species.  It makes
no sense for us to be destroying their habitat in any program, especially on
that costs us millions annually.

There are programs that can be funded that will return money to the economy,
and at the same time not destroy the environment.  One such is recreation.
Recreation contributes 30 times more to the economy than does logging on a
national scale (FS budgetary expalantion FY97).  In Michigan, the Forest
Service has concluded that recreation will bring 23 times more jobs than
logging and contribute 16 times more to the economy.  In real numbers, they
expect there would be demand for 36,837 jobs created for recreation, with a
total income of $1,473,475 to local economies.  On the other hand, the Forest
Service expects 1,629 jobs to be present for logging with a total income of
$89,760 to the local communities.

Despite numbers and facts like these, this years budget calls for 33% of the
money to be used for the timber program, and only 11% to be used for
recreation and wildlife management.  It makes more sense to invest taxpayer
dollars in the programs that will provide the greatest return to the
taxpayer.

Senator Bryan's amendment will offer you a chance to make a vote that will
reflect the needs of the forests and the taxpayers.
It will cut all money from the timber road construction budget, and eliminate
funding for roadless area timber sales.  It will place half of the money into
conservation and recreation programs and the other half will go towards
deficit reduction.

Add the numbers in

The time has come to change the role of the Forest Service.  The Chief of the
Forest Service, Mike Dombeck, has said it best:

"We can leave no greater gift for our children, show no greater respect for
our forefathers, than to leave the watersheds entrusted in our care
healthier, more diverse and more productive."

During the appropriations process this year, you can begin this process of
protecting our forest resources by supporting the Bryan Amendment to the
Interior Appropriations Bill.

Sincerely,

Frank Ambrose
American Lands Alliance