E-M:/ September Earth Net Newsletter

Enviro-Mich message from "Molly Cole" <COLE@maelstrom.cc.wmich.edu>

He folks,

This isn't as pretty when I copy it into e-mail but what follows is a
portion of the September issue of the Earth Net newsletter. The Earth Net
Newsletter is a publication that the Environmental Studies Program at
Western Michigan Universtiy, with the help of student interns, has been
putting out on paper for over 10 years. For those of you who normally get
it in the mail, sorry, this is all I managed to get out to you for
September. My new students just started last week. For anyone else who has
not received the newsletter, it primarily focuses on SW Michigan events but
also includes things I think are interesting or useful enough that people
might travel farther.

If you are interested in receiving a snail mail copy each month send me
your name and address. If I don't get too many requests I'll add you to the
mailing list. There is no charge but donations are welcomed. There should
also be a version on the web. I'll send out a notice with the web site as
soon as the October issue is done. If you have items you would like added
to future issues please pass them along. I hope you don't find too many
mistakes and that you find it useful.

Molly Cole

EARTH NET
September 1998
21-23	Ohio EPA & Spill Control Association of America:  22nd annual Inland
Spills Conference.  Learn about spill clean-up techniques, regulatory and
legal issues, risk management, response training and more.   Columbus,
Ohio, Info.313 259-1144
21-27	DEQ:  Pollution Prevention Week.  Info. 1 800 662-9278
21-26	Tillers International:  Timber Framing & Raising class. Kalamazoo, MI
Info.616 344-3238
21	West Michigan Environmental Action Council:  Consumer forum to discuss
utility issues with a Michigan Public Service Commisioner, 6:00pm at the
Muskegon County Building, Commission chambers (4th floor), 990 Terrace
Street, Muskegon.  Info.616 451-3051
23	DEQ:  Ninth Pollution Prevention Roundtable. The theme this year is
emerging issues in pollution prevention. East Lansing, MI Info. Ms. Barbara
Spitzley at 517 373-9283
23 	American Water Resources Association:  "Managing Kalamazoo River:
Challenges and Stategies Facing All in the Watershed"  11:30am-2:00pm,
President Dining Room, Bernhard Center, Western Michigan University,
Kalamazoo, MI. Info.616 387-3410
24	Kalamazoo Environmental Council:  monthly meeting at 7pm at Markin Glen
Park (Garden Council House) on N. Westnedge, Kalamazoo, MI.  Call Don Brown
for additional info. 344-3738 or 344-0536 (message machine)
25	Binder Park Zoo:  Natural Night Life: owls-search for native owls in the
Swamp Adventure with zoo staff.  Battle Creek, MI Info.616 979-1351
25	Wisconsin Annual Green Builder Conference:  Milwaukee, Wisconsin.  an
annual conference that will feature national and local experts on green
building issues.  Conference will include trade show, break-out sessions,
and panel discussions. Info. 608 280-0360
26	West Michigan Environmental Action Council:  Urban Land Awareness day at
Heartside Park, Grand Rapids, MI 10:00am - 2:00pm. Info.616 451-3051
26	Binder Park Zoo:  Feathered Friends Day. Battle Creek, MI Info. 616
979-1351
26	Kalamazoo Nature Center:  Programs at Wolf Lake Fish Hatchery: Small Fry
Fishing Frenzy-kids will learn how to cast and catch fish in the show pond,
2:00pm;
Wonderful Water-hands on activities will help teach visitors all about
water, 4:00pm. Info. 616 381-1574
26	Tillers International:  Raising day - Be a part of an old time barn
raising.  Kalamazoo, MI 8:30am to 5:00pm.  Info.616 344-3238
26	Audubon Society of Kalamazoo:  Field Trip- North Country Trail, Leader:
Barbara VanDyken and Ilse Gebhard.  The stretch to be explored is in the
Yankee Springs Recreation Area with both woods and wetlands habitat
represented. Info. 375-7210
26&27	Upland Hills Ecological Awareness Center:  Natural Building Workshop,
Oxford, MI 9:30am Saturday, 10:30am Sunday.  Info. 248 -693-1021
27	Kalamazoo Drumming Circle:  Open Meeting. call Mary 616 345-9295
27	Kalamazoo Nature Center:  Programs at Wolf Lake Fish Hatchery: Fishing
Technique workshops-explore fishing as a hobby via hands on demonstrations,
4:00pm; Wetland Wander-find out what lives in a wetland and meet hatchery
wildlife up close, 6:00pm. Info. 616 381-1574
27-29	Connecting Michigan Conference:  First Statewide Trailways and
Greenways Conference. McCamly Plaza Hotel, Battle Creek, MI. Info.517
393-6022. call 616 966-3465 for information on a field trip.
28	West Michigan Environmental Action Council:  Religion, Spirituality and
Ecology Working Group meets at the WMEAC office, 7:00pm, New members
welcome. Call Tom Cary for details 616 451-3051
28-29	Risk-Based Decision Making:  Facilitation Real Estate Transactions
and Brownfield Redelvelopment. Call 1 800 9NO RISK to register or for a
full brochure. Contact: Tacy Telego, RTM Communications, 703 549-0977
28-6	Culture's Edge:  PermaCulture Programs at Earthaven Ecovillage -
Village Design Permaculture Practicum. Black Mountain, North Carolina
Info.828 298-2399

Molly Cole
Program Coordinator
Environmental Studies
239 Moore Hall
Western Michigan University
Kalamazoo, MI 49008
Phone: (616) 387-2716 Fax: (616) 387-4998
http://www.wmich.edu/science/docs/esp/esp.html
"If you think you're too small to make a difference, you've never been
in bed with a mosquito."