E-M:/ Gypsy Moth Spraying

Bounced message from Ann Hunt...

From: annh@randell.com (Ann Hunt)
To: "'SenLStille@senate.state.mi.us'" <SenLStille@senate.state.mi.us>
Cc: "'enviro-mich@great-lakes.net'" <enviro-mich@great-lakes.net>
Subject: Gypsy Moth Spraying
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 11:57:40 -0400
superior.great-lakes.net id LAA28273

Dear Senator:

I have been reading information about legislation you have sponsored to
change the way the counties administer gypsy moth suppression programs.  I
think that you should know the following:

In 1978 a group of residents of central Michigan successfully sued the
Michigan Department of Agriculture over the aerial treatment of gypsy
moth-"infested" forests.  Part of the resolution of that suit included the
provision that individual homeowners were to be notified of the potential
for treatment of their property and that they were to be given the right to
exempt their property from treatment.

This resolution has been in practice since 1981, and has led to both the
development of alternative treatment practices, and the payment for
treatment by those who do not chose to exempt their properties.  The MDA has
administered a cost sharing program to assist counties in their suppression
efforts.

I would suggest that you talk to Ron Priest, Chuck Cubbage, and others in
the Michigan Department of Agriculture who were involved in these
discussions and resolutions in 1981.  Furthermore, since we brought suit
under the Michigan Environmental Protection Act, we were also successful in
receiving full payment for attorney costs and fees spent in pursuing the case.

Sincerely,

Ann Hunt
Lake, Michigan

PO Box 39  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039
(517) 332-6971 (voice); (517) 332-8987 (fax)