E-M:/ GOTV workshops- October 3rd (Detroit) and October 4th (Lansing)- PLEASE ATTEND

Enviro-Mich message from Joy Strawser <mec@voyager.net>

Dear Michigan Environmentalists:

"You say what? I should go to another environmental workshop?
ARGHHHH!!!"

Oops! Let's start over and lay the groundwork on this one.

 Michigan environmentalists have had a banner year. Against heavy
odds we got the bond, Proposal C, amended into something we support,
something that will provide water quality protection, pollution
prevention and much more.

  Environmentalists got the state to include important PCB warnings in
its fish advisories.

 Environmentalists held off Detroit Edison when they tired to restart
the state's dirtiest coal burning power plant, Conners Creek.

 Environmentalists forced a hostile DEQ to the table with us and the
EPA and forced the state to roll back the worst provisions of the
Polluter Secrecy Law.

None of this would have happened without the nonprofit environmental
organizations.  So what's left to do? Plenty!  And that brings me back
to the workshops.

First of all, virtually every environmental protection in Michigan is
threatened.   Just the other day, there was a move to roll back
Michigan's landmark bottle deposit to 5 cents per bottle. We can take
nothing for granted. Environmentalists need to be vigilant and we need
to be smart. We need to recognize that there will be more environmental
policy determined on November 3 than on any other day of the year.
Environmentalists need to know what to do to make our voices heard at
the ballot box so we can be heard the next two years.   And that is what
these workshops are all about. We'll learn what is permissible under the
law and what works to get environmentally concerned voters to the polls.

These workshops are about learning how to win at the ballot box. They
are get out the vote workshops for non-profit tax exempt organizations
- the 501(c)(3)s - (that's most of us) and the non-profit taxable
organizations - the 501(c)(4)s - (that's just a few of our environmental
brethren). Even if you have already been educated in 501 (c)(3) or 501
(c)(4) permissible activities, these events will offer a great
opportunity to learn from the pros and strategize with other
environmentalists on the best GOTV tactics.

Make this election count for defending and advancing our environmental
protections. Join the GOTV workshops and let the anti-enviros scream
ARGHHHH!!! The GOTV Workshops will be held:

October 3, 1998                         October 4, 1998
10:00 A.M.-3:00 P.M.                    10:00 A.M.-3:30 P.M.
UAW/Chrysler Center                     Kiwanis Youth Center
Wayne Training Center                   Bellevue, MI (near Lansing)
Detroit, MI

For more infomation please contact:

Jim Stone (313)	921-8071		Mike Boyce- (616) 763-3090

I look forward to seeing you there.

Lana Pollack
President, Michigan Environmental Council