E-M:/ Calls needed to MI Dem Reps!

Enviro-Mich message from Karen Tuerk <ktuerk@execpc.com>

Folks,

House Democrats are circulating the following "Dear Colleague" letter
asking President Clinton to remove all anti-environmental riders from
upcoming spending bills.  Your help is needed in urging your
Representative (if s/he is a Democrat) to sign the letter.

The following MI reps. need to be contacted:

Bart Stupack:  (202) 225-4735
Lynn Rivers: (202) 225-6261
James Barcia: (202) 225-8187
John Conyers: (202) 225-5126
John Dingell: (202) 225-4071

Reps. Bonior, Stabernow, Kildee, Levin, and Kilpatrick are already on
board.

Please make every effort to get your Democratic Representative on this
letter.  (If your Representative is a Republican, pass this alert on to
a friend or colleague that has a Democratic Representative and urge
your Republican Representative to contact the House leadership to work
to pass a "clean" omnibus spending bill without anti-environmental
riders.) NOTE:  THE HOUSE WILL BE OPEN ON "SATURDAY" THIS
WEEK. The deadline is Monday night!

If your Representative wants to sign the letter, ask him/her to contact
Chris Arthur with Representative Hinchey at (202) 225-6335.

Thanks,
Karen Tuerk, GREEN

LETTER TO HOUSE DEMOCRATS FROM REPRESENTATIVES GEPHARDT, BONIOR,
HINCHEY, WAXMAN, MILLER, FURSE, AND PALLONE

Congress of the United States
Washington, DC 20515

September 21, 1998

Dear Democratic Colleague:

Republicans are once again launching a backdoor attack on America's
environmental laws.  Using the appropriations process as a means to
their ends, they have inserted numerous anti-environmental riders in
this year's funding bills.  We believe these riders represent real
threats to the environmental and to public health.  The Republican
leadership is deliberately abusing legislative rules in order to avoid
committee review and floor debate on the merits of these riders. We
believe that our environmental laws and the legislative process would
be best served if this pattern of legislating by deception was stopped.

The Administration has already identified many riders that would be
grounds for a presidential veto.  We ask that House Democrats join in a
letter to the President, supporting his commitment to veto
appropriations bills containing anti-environmental riders.

This is an opportunity to send a message to the American people that
Democrats will defend the environment.  The Republican leadership has
too often abused established rules of the House in order to advance the
agenda of their special interest friends.

With the fiscal year nearly at a close, we are asking that you act
promptly in joining our effort to draw attention to Republican attacks
on environmental protection.  Our letter to the President is on the
reverse side of this letter.  Our effort has the strong support of the
major environmental organizations.  If you would like to sign our
letter, please contact Chris Arthur with Rep. Hinchey at 5-6335 as soon
as possible.

Sincerely,

Richard Gephardt                             David Bonior

Maurice Hinchey                              Henry A. Waxman

George Miller                                   Elizabeth Furse

Frank Pallone, Jr.

HOUSE DEAR COLLEAGUE LETTER

The Honorable William Jefferson Clinton
The White House
Washington, DC 20500

Dear Mr. President:

We are writing to let you know of our deep concern and strong
opposition to the numerous anti-environmental riders that have been
attached to several of this year's appropriations bills in both the
House and the Senate.  We appreciate your opposition to these assaults
on public health, on public lands, and on the public treasury.  We ask
that you hold firm in you opposition to them, and carry out your
promises to veto appropriations bill if these objectionable riders
remain in them.

Anti-environmental riders have been inserted into several different
appropriations bills this year, riders that affect the full range of
environmental issues--from protection of public lands to exposure of
children to toxic chemicals.  Although not all of us agree on the
substantive issues involved in all of the riders, we agree that these
questions should not be resolved in this way.  In many cases, the
riders appear to be deliberate efforts to evade committee review and
floor debate.  The riders that have come to a vote attracted
substantial opposition.

Resisting these backdoor proposals to weaken our environmental laws is
critically important for our children and for our nation's future.  We
must support the public interest in these matters, and not allow the
narrow interest of those who seek special exemptions fr subsidies to
erode the quality of our public lands or the quality of our people's
lives.  We appreciate that you have already noted the Administration's
opposition to many of these destructive riders.  We urge your continued
opposition to them throughout the appropriations process, and we urge
you to veto bills that contain objectionable riders.  We thank you for
your attention.

Sincerely,

SIGNERS AS OF THURSDAY NITE
Abercrombie
Ackerman
Andrews
Baldacci
Barrett
Bentsen
Berman
Blumenauer
Bonior
C. Brown
G. Brown
S. Brown
Cardin
Carson
Christian-Green
Clayton
Coyne
DeFazio
DeGette
Delahunt
Dixon
Eshoo
Faleomavaega
Fazio
Ford
Frank
Furse
Gedjdenson
Gephardt
Gutierrez
Harman
Hinchey
Hoyer
J Jackson
Jackson-Lee
E.B. Johnson
J. Kennedy
P. Kennedy
Kennelly
Kildee
Kilpatrick
Kleczka
Kucinich
LaFalce
Lantos
Lee
Levin
J. Lewis
Lowey
C. Maloney
J. Maloney
Manton
Markey
Matsui
C. McCarthy
McDermott
McNulty
Meeks
Menendez
G. Miller
Moakley
Nadler
Neal
Norton
Oberstar
Olver
Owens
Pallone
Pascrell
Pastor
D. Payne
Pelosi
Poshard
Rahall
Rush
Sabo
Sanchez
Schumer
Serrano
Skaggs
Tauscher
Tierney
Towns
Vento
Waxman
Wexler
Woolsey
Yates

Roger Featherstone, GREEN Director
PO Box 40046, Albuquerque, NM 87196-0046
(505) 255-5966  fax, (505) 255-5953 rfeather@defenders.org
http://www.defenders.org/grnhome.html

GREEN DC Office
1101 14th St., NW, Ste. 1400,