Re: E-M:/ Whitmore Lake Air Quality

At 11:08 AM 9/26/1998 -0400, Sue Kelly wrote:
>Due to the growing public concern around the Whitmore Lake Thompson -
McCully Asphalt plant air emissions, >the Michigan Department of
Environmental Quality is conducting an air quality study in the affected
area until the >end of October 1998. A citizens group has formed in the area
to assist the DEQ in this effort. To this end, we are >requesting that
citizens in the area keep a log similar to that which the DEQ is creating
noting the date, time, >location (address), weather, and wind direction
during the occasions that they notice the noxious odors >associated with
asphalt. Each complaint must be logged individually. In addition to this
written log, it would be >very helpful if telephone calls to the DEQ
Pollution Alerting System (1-800-292-4706) during an odor/emission
>occurrence be made or a FAX sent to the DEQ at 1-517-625-5000.
>
>We will be meeting twice a month during the 98 -99 school year; the next
meeting will be October 1st at the >Whitmore Lake Middle School, south
entrance, room C-5, from 7pm - 9pm. For further information on this effort
>call 734-449-8111 or 810-227-9563.  To receive an electronic version of a
blank complaint log send a note to >dsok1@ismi.net

Sue:

This doesn't deal with odors, but you may want to consider it as a strategy.

If my memory serves me correctly, this plant is about a half mile or less from
Whitmore Lake.   As such, any persistent and/or bioaccumulative toxicants
which are emitted by the plant may be deposited in Whitmore Lake.

A couple of years ago, the proposed incinerator near Pontiac MI bit the
dust in part  because of concerns about addition deposition of mercury into
an adjacent lake that already had fish which exceeded action levels for
mercury.

At the present time Michigan does not analyze the effects of air discharges
from new and modified sources of air toxicants on non-inhalation pathways
for purposes of exposure determination.   This means that Michigan, in
permitting
new and modified air sources, does not routinely analyze the effects of
pollutants on fish and wildlife (ecotoxicology), and does not examine the
effects of non-inhalation routes of exposure (from fish that are eaten and from
deposition into the human food/agricultural system).

[and Michigan doesn't do any risk assessment at all for existing sources
that have not gone through permitting as new and modified sources]

You should find out the mercury fuel content and total fuel consumption at
this asphalt plant, as see if there has ever been a mercury stack test.  You
should also find out if fish testing has taken place in Whitmore Lake for
mercury.

At the present time there is considerable interest in the matter of Total
Maximum Daily Load (TMDL) considerations in the protection of
water bodies impaired by non-point-source inputs of toxicants.   Maybe
you can turn this into a mercury TMDL test case for Michigan.

Alex Sagady

PO Box 39  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039
(517) 332-6971 (voice); (517) 332-8987 (fax)