[Date Prev][Date Next][Date Index]
E-M:/ national conference on greening of tax code
- Subject: E-M:/ national conference on greening of tax code
- From: Dave Dempsey <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 15:00:04 -0400
- List-Name: Enviro-Mich
- Reply-To: Dave Dempsey <email@example.com>
Enviro-Mich message from Dave Dempsey <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Below and attached is an announcement for an upcoming conference on
"Greening State Taxes." Please feel free to forward it along to
National Conference on Greening State Taxes
On December 10 and 11 in Seattle, WA, the Energy Outreach Center (EOC)
and the Washington D.C.-based Center for a Sustainable Economy (CSE)
will team up to host "Greening State Taxes," the first national
conference of state leaders interested using the tax code to promote a
sustainable economy. The conference will be a unique opportunity for
state-level policy makers and advocates to participate in two days of
panel discussions by experts, strategy workshops on how to move these
promising reforms from theory to reality, and share experiences with
other state leaders.
· DAVID MORRIS, Vice President of the Institute for Local Self Reliance
and columnist for the St. Paul Pioneer Press.
· CHARLES KOMANOFF, President of Komanoff Energy Associates and
co-author of the forthcoming EOC study "Road Relief: Tax and Pricing
Shift for a Cleaner, Fairer, and Less Congested Transportation System
for Washington State."
· ALAN DURNING, Executive Director of Northwest Environment Watch and
co-author of "Tax Shift."
· REP. ANN H. REST, Co-sponsor of Minnesota's tax shift bill.
· J. ANDREW HOERNER, CSE's Senior Research Scholar and author of
"Harnessing the Tax Code for Environmental Protection.
Panel Discussions Include
· ENVIRONMENTAL TAX OVERVIEW -- This panel will review recent research
and campaign efforts on state-level environmental taxes and tax
· LESSONS FROM THE FIELD: Minnesota - This is an opportunity for
participants to hear first-hand from the experts about the effort to
pass a carbon tax shift in Minnesota.
· LEGISLATIVE PERSPECTIVES-- Several legislators who have sponsored
environmental tax legislation will offer insights into environmental
taxes and the legislative process.
· MESSAGE DEVELOPMENT- Participants will hear the latest polling and
focus group information from state leaders and discuss how it relates to
developing an effective message.
· IDENTIFYING OPPORTUNITIES AND DRIVERS FOR REFORM- Is your state better
suited for specific environmental taxes, green tax packages, or
broad-based tax shifting? What are the issues that could "drive" a
· COALITION BUILDING- What combination of interest communities are
needed in your state to bolster support for a tax shift or environmental
tax campaign? What are some techniques to build coalitions? What has
worked in other states?
· HURDLES AND HOW TO ADDRESS THEM - What are some potential barriers to
tax shifting and environmental taxes at the state level? What are some
strategies to overcome them?
The conference will take place on Thursday and Friday, December 10 and
11 at the Mountaineers Building in Seattle, Washington.
Registration fee for the conference is $50.00 for students and
non-profit organizations and $75.00 for everyone else. There will a
$10.00 discount for those registered before 11/9/98.
A limited number of travel stipends will be available on a
For more information on receiving a travel stipend, please contact: Paul
Horton, Energy Outreach Center; 360-943-4595, email@example.com
For more information about the conference, please see EOC's website at
http://www.eoc.org, or contact:
Scott J. Anders of CSE at (202) 234-9665 or firstname.lastname@example.org,
Paul Horton of EOC at (360)943-4595 or email@example.com.
Scott J. Anders
State Projects Coordinator
Center for a Sustainable Economy
1731 Connecticut Ave. NW, Suite 500
Washington D.C. 20009
Phone: (202) 234-9665
Fax: (202) 588-1297
Michigan Environmental Council
119 Pere Marquette, Suite 2A
Lansing, MI 48912
ENVIRO-MICH: Internet List and Forum for Michigan Environmental
and Conservation Issues and Michigan-based Citizen Action. Archives at
Postings to: firstname.lastname@example.org For info, send email to
email@example.com with a one-line message body of "info enviro-mich"