E-M:/ Rep. Karen Willard on the Drain Code

Forwarding a bounced message from State Rep. Karen Willard.....

--------------------

Date: Fri, 02 Oct 1998 15:59:07 -0400
From: "Rep. Karen Willard" <kwilllar@house.state.mi.us>
To: enviro-mich@great-lakes.net
Subject: Drain Code

Michigan's Drain Code law is desperately in need of reform.  As you may
know, I have been working diligently for good policy on the Michigan
Drain Code.

Incorporating common sense natural resource protection, protecting
property and taxpayer rights, giving citizens the right to effectively
question governmental decision making, and curbing urban sprawl are all
necessary for real reform.

A group is forming to challenge the constitutionality of the Drain Code
in Michigan.  They are seeking lawyers interested in pro bono
involvement, perhaps in an amicus action, to mount a challenge to
Michigan's antiquated, anti-conservation, anti-taxpayer, anti-farmer
drain code.  One of the strongest challenges will be on the basis of
denial of due process and equal protection.

Please conact my office at 1-800-423-8282 if you can help.

Sincerely,
Karen Willard
State Representative
82nd District