E-M:/ E:M/ Environmental Health Speaker at MSU

Enviro-Mich message from "Mona Hanna" <hannamon@pilot.msu.edu>

         The Michigan State University College of Human Medicine's
                 Environmental and Occupational Health Group

                             invite you to see...

                               JUDITH HELFAND
                    Award Winning Documentary Filmmaker
                                and her film
                           "A Healthy Baby Girl"

 Wednesday 14 October 1998
 A-133 Life Science Building, Michigan State University
 Hors d'oeuvres and beverages will be served from 5:30 until 6:00 PM
 Program begins at 6:00 PM

 Helfand's latest work is a  humorous yet searing exploration of what
 happens when science, marketing and corporate power enter our deepest family
 relationships.  At the age of 25, she was diagnosed with cervical cancer and
 had to undergo a radical hysterectomy--the result of her mother having taken
 the anti-miscarriage drug diethylstilbestrol--DES.  Judith went home to her
 family in Merrick, L.I.  to heal--and picked up her camera.

 Her five year video diary, the award winning film "A Healthy Baby Girl," was
 in the documentary competition of the 1997 Sundance Film Festival, was
 broadcast nationally on PBS and won a 1997 Peabody Award.  "Healthy Baby Girl"
 is part of the Health Care Without Harm national campaign to end medical waste
 incineration, one of the major producers of dioxins in our environment today.

 The Council of the Chicago Medical Society has stated in their resolution
 that "virtually all chlorinated organic comounds, such as dioxins, that have
 been studied exhibit at least one of a wide range of serious toxic effects
 such as endocrine dysfunction, developmental impairment, birth defects,
 reproductive dysfunction and infertility, and cancer, often at extremely low
 doses."

 For more info, contact Michele Johnson at john1060@pilot.msu.edu (351-9766) or
 April Holmes holmesap@pilot.msu.edu (372-0133).