E-M:/ Executive Director Development

Enviro-Mich message from "Kerrin O'Brien" <mirc@voyager.net>

I participated in the Executive Director Development Program discussed
below in 1997-1998.  The program was the best training program I have
ever been involved in and has helped me take the Michigan Recycling
Coalition to a new place!  Probably 95% of the ED's that I went through
this with would say the same thing.  Organizations represented in the
program range from those with $30,000 to multi million dollar budgets.
I encourage anyone even vaguely interested to take advantage of this
personal and professional, leadership building program.  Please feel
free to contact me with questions.

Kerrin O'Brien
Executive Director, Michigan Recycling Coalition

The Institute for Conservation Leadership announces its 3rd Great Lakes
Executive Director Development Program.  The opening workshop will take
place Jan. 10-15, 1999 at Lake Geneva, Wisconsin (a 1 to 2 hour drive
from Chicago).

The program provides executive directors from environmental and related
nonprofit organizations with a foundation of management skills, and
gives on-going support as they apply their new learning to strengthen
their organizations.  It begins with an intensive 5-day workshop,
continues with support in the form of one-on-one consulting, mentoring,
conference calls, a 500-page resource handbook, and concludes with a
second workshop with one or two board members seven to nine months after
the first.  While priority is given to executive directors from
organizations in the Great Lakes region, anyone may apply to the
program.

Here's what past participants say:

"...this program has been the best development tool that we, as both new
and experienced executive directors, have ever experienced...." --joint
letter from 1997 Great Lakes program participants

"My mentoring visit (to a sister organization) was the single most
valuable thing inside or outside of my organization that I have ever
done.  Just the incentive you gave me to make that visit was worth the
cost of the whole ICL program." -- Steve Strichman, N.Y. State Council
of Waterways, 1998 Great Lake program

"Refreshing, enriching, educational, and fun." --James Chapman,
Georgians for Transportation Options, 1998 Southern program

Program Goals:
1. To help executive directors develop skills needed to address the
challenges and opportunities facing their organizations;
2. To help executive directors strengthen their capacity to develop,
manage, and evaluate staff and volunteers;
3. To improve the productivity of the executive directors' relationships
with their boards of directors;
4. To strengthen executive directors' ability to raise funds and oversee
finances; and
5. To foster stronger, cooperative relationships among leaders and
organizations in the region.

Barbara Rusmore, previously the ED of a small environmental
organization, will lead the training.  She has a doctorate in
organizational development and seven years of experience leading the
program.

Upon acceptance, participating organizations must pay a US $750
registration fee which covers lodging (double occupancy) and meals at
both workshops, as well as all other program services.  A limited number
of scholarship rates of US $650 are available for groups with a budget
less than $75,000 annually and who have the greatest need.  The deadline
for applying is Friday, Nov. 6, 1998.

To receive an application package, or more information, please contact
Peter Lane.  Phone: 301/270-2900   Email: peter@icl.org