EVENT OF NOTE:

RELEASE OF METROPOLITAN INEQUITIES STUDY
DECLARATION OF INTER-DEPENDENCE

Sunday, October 18, 1998
2:30 - 4:00 pm
Metropolitan United Methodist Church
8000 Woodward Ave, Detroit
Sponsored by MOSES (Metropolitan Organizing Strategy 	Enabling Strength)

On October 18, the MOSES network of churches (Metropolitan Organizing
Strategy Enabling Strength) will host the
release of the Metropolitan Inequity study undertaken by Myron Orfield
(author of Metropolitics and Minnesota state legislator) for metro Detroit.
 The study illustrates the growing socioeconomic polarization between
central cities/mature suburbs and fast growing communities at the region's
edge.

MOSES hopes to build a political coalition to address regional inequities
such as subsidies that lead to sprawling development and disinvestment in
older cities.
Similar studies conducted by Orfield in other major metropolitan areas have
galvanized diverse and exciting new partnerships tackling fair housing,
transportation/transit reform, land use planning and urban reinvestment.

MOSES is expecting 2,000 people, including religious leaders throughout the
metropolitan area, to
declare an alliance of inter-dependence between all metro communities,
"meaning that no matter what we may think of each other, no matter what we
have suffered from each other in the past--we are here to stay.  We are
with each other.  We will figure it out.  We will not run further out into
the metro area.  We will not allow our taxes to be spent to encourage or
entice others to run."

It should be an inspiring gathering, if not historical, with presentations
by Orfield (author of Metropolitics and Minnesota state representative) and
dr. john powell (Center on Poverty and Race) and greetings from Mayor
Dennis Archer and Wayne County Executive Ed McNamara. All are invited.

For more information, contact MOSES at the offices of the West Detroit
Interfaith Community Organization, 313-838-3190 or Julie at MEC.
Julie Stoneman
Director of Land Programs
Michigan Environmental Council
119 Pere Marquette Dr., Suite 2A