E-M:/ Re: Some neat examples of Engler's environmental policies.

Enviro-Mich message from "david zaber" <dzaber@gateway.net>

Folks,

To see first hand the effects of Engler's policies on the environment, take
a short trip down towards Milan, MI and then go east to the Palmer Drain.
This stream drains the lake plain and is a tributary of Stoney Creek, which
eventually flows into Lake Erie.  The drain has received polluted waste
waters from a quarry for several years and much of the stream is dead.  I
often took aquatic ecology students to the site to show the effects of
water pollution on aquatic organisms.  We found nothing but some pollution
tolerant worms when we did some sampling.  The DNR/DEQ had done nothing as
of mid-1997 to stop the pollution.  The stream destruction persists for
miles and the stream itself stinks like sulfer.  This is a very real
example of the failure of the Engler Administration to protect Michigan's
environment and the Great Lakes.  You can see the Palmer drain pollution
from Grames road just east of Milan, MI.

I am of the understanding that Michigan PIRG has done some work on this
situation over the past year.  Readers should also know that my minimal
ruckus regarding this pollution was met by DNR employees contacting my
major advisor at the University of Michigan back in early 1997.  Attack the
messenger is clearly the Engler Administration's modus operandi.

For another example, go to the Waterloo Recreation Area in Jackson County
and visit the new effluent discharge pipe draining overflowing sewage from
the Waterloo prison site on Maute Rd., which is accesible from Clear Lake
Road between Jackson and Ann Arbor, north of I-94.  This stream was a high
quality stream that now receives overflow from the prison's inadequate
sewage treatment plant.

Or, you can go  to the Grand River in Jackson and see what Jackson's
recycling facilities have done to the Grand River.  The site is a hop, skip
and a jump from downtown Jackson and is accessible from Route 50.  Stop on
the bridge and take a long look at the water, you should be able to see the
slow discharge of oils and greases from the river bed at the site. Why is
this Enlger's fault?  No cleanup, no enforcment, no progress, no *&%# !

For more fun in the sun, head north to the Mackinaw State Forest and exit
I-75 at Wolverine, MI.  Head west on C-58 (Wolverine rd) to the Weber Lake
campground.  Take Prue Rd. to Weber Lake Rd which turns into Spring Valley
Rd.  Take Spring Valley Rd to Peet rd. or Wilderness Rd (I am not sure) and
then go east on Wilderness Rd. You'll see a great area (the Chandler Hills)
that has been mismanaged to the point of ecosystem collapse in some areas.
The ORV problem here is mind-boggling for those of you who care.  The sink
holes in the region have been utterly destroyed by the ORVs and now consist
of nothing more then open pits with eroding sides.  A tragedy that often is
overlooked due to its remote location.

While you are in the region, check out the clearcuts the DNR has made.
Many of my students were treated to personal experiences with clearcuts on
streams, directly on seeps and springs and to the industrial forest
practices of the Engler Administration. Try the headwaters of Berry Creek,
the Bear River, Marl Creek or Minnehaha Creek.  For some really neat
examples of Engler's forest destruction policies, one cannot go wrong in
the general vicinity of the Charlevoix/Cheboygan/Emmet County area.

Or, you can head east to the Ausable state forest in the headwaters of the
Tittabawassee River.  Total environmental devastation with no interior
forest left in many spots is the name of the game here.  Watch out for the
illegal ORV use as you step over the illegal beaver traps on your way to
the destructive clearcuts.

On your way, stop at Hartwick Pines state park and visit the Weyerhauser
sponsored info center.  Ask where the virgin trees that were cut to make
way for the new center are.  Then walk through the woods and note the maple
trees growing in the remnant ancient trees and ponder the loss of fire in
the ecosystem.

Had enough? Too bad, there is much, much more.

David John Zaber
Takoma Park, MD 20912
dzaber@gateway.net