E-M:/ THe huron Manistee

Enviro-Mich message from Frank Ambrose <fambrose@igc.apc.org>

Here is a compilation of all the sales that are in the process (either
being cut or in NEPA) on the Huron Manistee National Forest.  There is a
possiblity of there being more goig on than this, as I obtained this info
througha FOIA, and they sometimes "forget" to send you all the info.

I have copies of all the relevant documents  (decision notices, scopings,
and EA's) for each of the sales mentioned. Contact me for a copy or a
more in detail explanation.

Frank Ambrose
812-337-1631

The Huron Manistee NF

There are several areas on the Huron Manistee NF that are going to be
treeless soon, or are have been stripped of the trees recently.

I wrote to the Forest Service to get a copy of all sales that are in
progress, or are being prepared.  Here is a list of the sales.

First, the Forest Service is planning to a total of 16,184 acres: 6,683
acres are to be clearcut, and 9501 will be selectively cut.

There are some 4300 acres+ the Iosco county sale that are unclear on how
they will be cut.
Here are the sales that are being cut, or are at various stages of NEPA:

1. Luzerne area:

Tornado blowdown, 668 acres of tree removal, supposedly for fire danger
reduction.  Final EA in the works.

2. Township 25+26:

Clearcut 5 stands aspen, 243 acres, thin 115 acres oak, twostage clearcut
in 110 acres of oak -replace with white pine.

3. Meridian Road, Canoe harbor, harbor Oak, Hull's Kitchen, North Dune
Timber sales.

All 5 are covered in a 24 page+ maps Enviro. Assessment.
-thin 628 acres of oak
-clearcut 49 acress of oak
-383 acres of oak two stage clearcut
-104 acres clearcut jack pine
-maintain 402 acres of upland openings by burning and bush hog
-901 acres of jack pine plantaion creation

4. Queens COrner Project area

-Active sale, FONSI issued 9-18-98
-clearcut 1495 acres of pine
-thine 1454 acres of jack pine, by row
-michigan shore to shore hiking and horse trail passes through area, will
be relocated

5.  Marilla Grouse Project

-EA is being prepared, as far as  I can tell
-clearcut 280 acres of Aspen
-harvest activities will be analyzed on 1300 acres, of which 700 are in
the 20-30 year age class

6. Colfax township, boon townhsip
Nine Pines timber sale, Pwerline timber sale

Nine Pines
- collecting info for two EA's in one scoping
-480 red pine thinning
-10 acres clearcut of jack pine
Powerline
-107 acres thinning red pine
-6 acres jack pine clearcut
-25 acres of aspen clearcut
-64 acres of uneven aged hardwood thinning
-344 acres of evven aged hardwood thinning(is this a clearcut?)
-9 acres of hardwood clearcut

7. North Newkirk Twnshp, dover township, wexford county, lake county,
State road timber sale, South branch timber sale

-Collecting info for two EA's in one scoping
State Road
-226 acres aspen clearcut
-214 acres red pine thin
South branch
-207 acres rred pine thin
-231 acres jack pine clearcut
-27 acres aspen clearcut

8. research Pines timber sale

-40 acres pine thin
-corporate research at our expense

9. Iosco County fuel reduction

-Categorically excludes a cut around several private inholdings
-no acreage given
-mostly pines

10. Pine Gate timber sale

-thin 866 aacres red pine
-clearcut 22 acres jack pine
=clearcut 92 acres oak
-112 thinning of oak
-84 acres of thinning(finishing a shleterwood cut ie 2 stage clearcut)
-13 acres oak overstory removal
-39 acres thinning

11. hale, MI Britt road project

-thin 3400 acres red pine plantations
-28 acres jack pine and oak overstory clearcut
-31 acres of jack pine overstory clearcut
-clearcut 230 acres of pine, aspen and oak

12. South Branch/Wicker Hills Proect

-thin 327 acres of red pine
-clearcut 60 acres of jack pine
-thin 72 acres oak/aspen
-clearcut 75 acres red and jack pine (supposed fule reduction)
-clearcut 80 acres of jack and red pine for wildlife
-provide 12 dead and down trees per acre to enhance old growth character
-clearcut 30 acres of aspen
-25 acres of oak thin

13. Wallahalla area

-thin 691 acres of red and white pine
-thin 57 acres white pine and oak

14. Minnie pond project

-primarily a recreation proposal
-clearcut 9 acres aspen
-thin 334 acres red pine plantation

15. Mcduffee Creek project

-clearcut 13 acres of aspen
-thin 269 acres of red pine
-clearcut 50 acres red pine overstory

16. Lake, Mason, Muskegon, Mescota, Newaygo, Oceana counties storm salvage

-3000 acres damaged by storm
-unclear on what is to be done, no acreage and proposed treatments -just
generalizations